Barbie and Taylor Swift Make History in 2023: What does this Mean for Women Across the Globe?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

“You Can Be Anything”

Barbie

Two powerful cultural phenomena have been stealing hearts and turning heads since their worldwide debuts earlier this year. A new era of empowerment and unity has emerged amongst women now more than ever before. Their convergence has been transformative. Taylor Swift and Barbie have proven to be more than mere entertainment; they have become beacons of inspiration for women from all walks of life. 

Taylor Swift: A Journey Through Time 

Those who did not know the acclaimed star in the past definitely recognize her name today. You will see her face on billboards in the city and hear her music echo on the radio. Despite her long history of evolving music, I’ll begin with one particular milestone in her career; it highlights her move toward independence and reclamation. Taylor’s Version is about more than merely rerecording songs from her discography and updating her vocals. Some of these “new” records may sound exactly like the original, but the Taylor producing them is in the midst of change. She is stepping into a new feminist identity and reclaiming ownership of her name. There is a freeing essence to Taylor’s Version. This was only the start. Her speech as the first-ever recipient of Billboard‘s Woman of the Decade Award says it all. 

Her musical journey has been a testament to personal growth, resilience, and unapologetic self-expression. The Eras Tour is a grand showcase of her transformation from a young country sensation to a global pop-star. This tour is not only about her music; it’s a declaration of a beautifully evolving identity, artistic evolution, and the empowerment that comes from embracing authenticity and individuality. The Eras Tour is a celebration of these shared experiences; it has united and encouraged women in theaters and stadiums across the world. Maybe she’s always been in her Reputation Era. Taylor has taken the famous quote, “Barbie is all these women. And all these women are Barbie” and has embodied the meaning behind it.

peace sign crop top beach bracelets necklace blonde hair torso tropical
Molly Longest / Her Campus

Barbie: Perfectly Plastic turns into a Progressive Cultural Icon 

We all know the iconic doll that has received ample love and criticism since the time of its creation. Throughout the years, Barbie has grown in diversity and mass. Its recently coined fashion trend, barbiecore, has taken over retail stores as they are flooded with pink clothing, accessories and media. Barbie the movie daringly attempts to reinvent the doll to represent the limitless potential in every girl and a unified sense of womanhood. The movie showcases a world where Barbie embodies an infinite number of roles; she is whoever she desires to be. Plastic seems to be dominated by the real and tangible. Barbie demonstrates independence and promotes self-expression. It encourages women to embrace their uniqueness, challenge conventionalism and aspire to greatness, all while fostering a sense of unity and empowerment amongst women. Being a Barbie girl as a child, this much anticipated film did not disappoint.

This year has allowed for these women-driven blockbusters to shine and I’m all here for it. Barbie and Taylor’s Eras Tour have drawn on the ambiguities of the female experience and have had a profound impact on girls and women of all ages. They have brought women together in both theaters and stadiums, creating a beautifully unified and safe environment. Humans only have one ending. Ideas live forever. Ruth, from the infamous Barbie says it best. Icons will naturally come and go throughout the years; it is the impression they leave behind that matters. 

Krizia is a part-time writer for York University's chapter in the Her Campus magazine. She is interested in a wide array of topics, including wellness, life, fashion, culture and career. As a full-time graduate student at York, she is attaining a Masters degree in English. Krizia has made many meaningful contributions to this chapter since she was previously part of the HC team during her undergraduate years.