7 Models Who Can Be a Part of Our Fantasy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Luckily, the modeling industry isn’t what it used to be just a decade ago. Nowadays, catwalks are featuring more diverse models and Instagram is giving a platform to less traditional looks. With the recent backlash of the Victoria’s Secret Show, people are over Ed Razec’s idea of a fantasy and ready to embrace a more inclusive range of models. Here are seven models who aren’t VS approved but are definitely worth following.

Bree Kish (@breekish)

When Victoria’s Secret’s Ed Razec released his statement on transgender and plus-sized models, Bree responded with a post of herself in lingerie and the caption: “i can’t be apart of the fantasy? i beg to differ. thank u, next.” She’s modeled for Forever 21, Torrid, Wet n Wild and countless other brands.

A post shared by  Bree Kish  (@breekish) on

Nadia Aboulhosn (@nadiaaboulhosn)

This blogger-turned-model didn’t plan on making it big. Since the start of her self-titled blog in 2010, she’s modeled for Seventeen Magazine, American Apparel and Addition Elle. She’s even designed for the latter, along with BooHoo and Lord & Taylor.

A post shared by Nadia Aboulhosn (@nadiaaboulhosn) on

Aaron Philip (@aaron__philip)

Aaron made waves when she became the first black, trans and disabled model to be signed with a major agency. Now with Elite NYC, she has recently modeled for Paper Magazine and ASOS; all at the age of 17.

A post shared by aaron philip (@aaron___philip) on

Leyna Bloom (@leynabloom)

This model dreamed of becoming VS’s first transgender model and while it hasn’t happened yet, she’s walked for Chromat and modeled for the recent Moschino x HM collaboration. Leyna is also the first trans model of color to be featured in Vogue India.

A post shared by Leyna Bloom (@leynabloom) on

Tabria Majors (@tabriamajors)

Tabria has not only modeled for Forever 21 and Sports Illustrated, but she’s also a major body positive advocate. She co-hosts the podcast The Thick and is currently fundraising for Midnight Mission, an organisation that helps people experiencing homelessness in Southern California.

A post shared by Tabria Majors (@tabriamajors) on

Gabi Gregg (@gabifresh)

This model created a place for herself in the fashion world back when there were rarely any plus-sized models. She’s dedicated to her cause, having co-founded PREMME, a clothing line that offers sizing from 12 to 30, and two other brands.

A post shared by Gabi (@gabifresh) on

Rain Dove (@raindovemodel)

Rain has had an amazing and bizarre career, from firefighter to Calvin Klein model. Although her modeling career started out with a dare, she’s now well-known for having walked menswear and womenswear runways.

Victoria’s Secret might not be ready to accept all the amazing models out there who don’t fit their standard, but brands like Savage X Fenty and ThirdLove understand that shoppers now value authenticity and being able to see themselves in the products they’re buying. It’s disheartening that in 2018, comments like Razec’s are even being made, but the backlash has shown us that we’re taking steps towards changing that kind of attitude.  

Fatou Balde

York U '22

Communication student by day, sleeper by night. I'm a Montreal-born and Toronto-raised lover of all things marketing and media. You can usually find me reading Her Campus, Flare or Refinery29.
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.