Culture > News

7 Events Hosted by York U Clubs This Month That Are Worth Checking Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Mark these dates on your calendar because these York U clubs are hosting so many fun events you won’t want to miss!

So you made it to the end of the first semester of a unique and unprecedented school year! Yay! Although it may not feel like the time to celebrate because it’s still finals season, it’s important to acknowledge how far you’ve come and reward yourself for the little victories. And what’s a better way to celebrate all of the challenges and stress you’ve overcome this semester (and year, let’s be honest) than by attending virtual movie nights, dance classes, socials, or giving back to the community? 

Whether you’ve wrapped up your exams early or need a break from all the studying, here are seven events that your favorite York U clubs are hosting this month just for you!

“Rudolf – Christmas Carolling” presented by The Happiness Plan YU

If you’ve had your Christmas playlist on repeat since December 1st then you’re gonna wanna tune into this event! Get together virtually with The Happiness Plan YU and belt out- I mean, carol your favorite Christmas songs on December 23rd.

But wait, it gets better! This free event also has a philanthropic side; The Happiness Plan YU has chosen to support Crafting For A Cure YU’s holiday fundraiser (which is the second event on this list – keep reading)! 

Follow The Happiness Plan YU on Instagram for mental health resources and to sign up for their weekly Open Mic Saturdays where they feature student-submitted creative expressions about mental health. 

RSVP to their event here and click here to donate to CFCYU’s holiday fundraiser.

Fundraiser for Craft Kits presented by Crafting For A Cure YU

Earlier this month, Crafting For A Cure YU (CFCYU) was collecting and creating holiday cards for craft kits to be donated to children in hospitals. On December 8th, they held a virtual card-making event but don’t worry, you didn’t miss out on this great initiative!

CFCYU is still hosting a fundraiser this month to raise money for the children’s craft kits they are putting together. All of the funds raised will go directly towards purchasing materials for these craft kits. Now that hospital visits are limited due to COVID-19, it’s important to let patients know they are not alone. Your contributions to this fundraiser will help CFCYU “bring smiles to children when a hospital visit is necessary”.

Donate to their cause here and follow CFCYU on Instagram for more great initiatives!

“Pop-Up Classes” presented by York Lions Dance Club

If you haven’t already heard of the York Lions Dance Club (YLDC), you’re totally missing out on amazing dance instructors, unique and fun dance styles, and an overall great time. Although YLDC’s weekly classes have ended for the semester, they are hosting multiple pop-up classes this month just for you!

Take a break between your exams or celebrate the end of your finals by attending a YLDC dance class. With classes provided in a variety of dance styles like, Soca, Latin, Jazz, Ballet, Hip Hop, Contemporary, Jazz Funk, Open, Musical Theatre, Heels and Bollywood, you’re bound to find a class that’s perfect for you! Visit their website for more information on classes or to purchase YLDC merch!

Purchase pop-classes here and follow YLDC on Instagram to be the first to know when their weekly classes are back next semester and about upcoming events like their monthly socials!

Fundraiser for Indigenous Peoples of Canada presented by UNICEF at York U

Her Campus at York U worked with UNICEF at York U earlier this month to help promote their fundraiser for Indigenous Peoples of Canada. This fundraiser raises awareness about Indigenous communities in Canada who are currently facing contamination to their drinking water supply on reserves

Every month, UNICEF at York U chooses a different initiative and for the months of November and December, they have made Indigenous peoples their primary focus. Follow them on Instagram to see which causes they will be supporting next semester!

Donate to their fundraiser by sending your donation via PayPal to unicefatyorku@gmail.com. All proceeds go directly to UNICEF Canada.

“Latin American Holiday Dinner” + More presented by the Organization of Latin American Students at York University

What are the holidays without a feast? Don’t worry, the Organization of Latin American Students at York University (OLAS York U) has got you covered with their Latin American Holiday Dinner event on December 17th! Tune into this virtual cooking event to make some of OLAS York U’s favorite holiday recipes.

Make sure to follow OLAS York U on Instagram as well, so you don’t miss the other exciting holiday events they’ll be hosting this month including a Virtual Movie Night on December 18th, a Holiday Fiesta on December 21st and a Holiday Charity Raffle going on until December 23rd!

“Conquer the Curve – PPE Initiative” Fundraiser presented by The Rotaract Club of York University

This club has been busy this holiday season! Earlier this month, The Rotaract Club of York University (Rotaract York U) made Christmas baskets and donated them to Etobicoke Support Services and Ernestine’s Women’s Shelter last week! And on Sunday they announced that they will be selling holiday wreaths and centerpieces to raise funds for their COVID-19 initiative.

Rotaract York U’s Conquer the Curve – PPE Initiative has been running since June and they’ve raised upwards of $6,600 so far! With this project, they aim to help those in the west end of Toronto who have been impacted the most by COVID-19 by supplying them with PPE (personal protective equipment) such as cloth masks, hand sanitizer and gloves.

If you want to be a part of this great initiative, donate to their project here and be sure to follow The Rotaract Club of York University on Instagram to see what their upcoming projects in the new year will be.

“End of the Year Holiday Party” presented by Engineers Without Borders YU

In the mood for a good ol’ holiday bash? Join Engineers Without Borders YU (EWB York U) on December 23rd for a fun night of virtual games, karaoke, movies and more! Not to mention, there will be multiple prizes to be won at this virtual event.

EWB York U has held informational and advocative events in the past including their most recent Member Learning event full of discussions and activities regarding equitable access to healthcare for Indigenous peoples of Canada. There is no doubt they will continue to “grow leaders that will address needs and inequalities all over the world”, as stated in their Instagram bio, with events like their Virtual xChange conference already lined up for next month.

Follow EWB York U on Instagram and join their End of the Year Holiday Party via Discord later this month!

As you’ve probably heard a million times by now, the holiday season is looking to be a lot different this year. But that doesn’t mean you have to skip out on the food, fun or spending time with friends. It’s the season of giving which includes giving to yourself credit for making it this far and rewarding yourself with a dance class or virtual get-together.

Happy holidays from Her Campus at York U!

Lisa is a former writer, executive member, and Chapter Leader of Her Campus at York U. She graduated from York University in 2021 with a BA in Anthropology. She is a Kappa Phi Xi alumni and is currently pursuing a Paralegal studies accelerated diploma at Seneca College.