6 Romance Movies That Will Take You On An Emotional Rollercoaster

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Relationships are complicated. There are so many ups and downs that it can all become so overwhelming and confusing. This list of romance movies depicts the beauty and difficulties that come with being in love. Here are the six romance movies that will take you on an emotional rollercoaster:

Love Rosie (2014)

Synopsis:

This movie shows the importance of being in the right place at the right time, and these two can’t seem to get it right. Rosie and Alex have been best friends since they were five, and they always secretly had feelings for each other; however, the stars never seemed to align. Will these two ever be together?

Why You Should Watch It:

This movie really shows the tension between two characters that clearly want to and should be together but are never able to have their lives line up at the right time. It shows how much they care about each other and how true love can take time.  

Heartfelt Moment:

“And I don’t just mean average nice, I mean Father Christmas-Easter Bunny-Tom Hanks-all-rolled-into-one nice.”

Photo via IMDb

Love Story (1970)

Synopsis:

Love Story follows two unlikely young lovers, Oliver and Jenny, as they navigate the bumpy waters of love, life and death. At a moment when their relationship is at its strongest, Jenny receives some life-altering news. Definitely bring the tissues for this one!

Why You Should Watch It:

This movie will make you believe in true, undying love. Their relationship is captivating to watch, you can really see how much Oliver cares for Jenny, and how even throughout the most devastating news he still stands by her.  

Tearjerker Moment:

“Love means never having to say you’re sorry.”

Photo via IMDb

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)

Synopsis:

They meet when they are young, keep in contact throughout the years, and when they are in their forties they get together. The only problem with this love story is that one of them is ageing backwards. Benjamin and Daisy are stuck with trying to line up their lives, as best as they can, while one of them is getting younger.

Why You Should Watch It:

This movie is so intense and will have you deeply enthralled in Daisy and Benjamin’s love story. There are moments where it is painful to watch because they are unable to be together for much of their lives, but when they are together it is so beautiful.

Tearjerker Moment:

“I wanna remember us just as we are now.”  

Photo via IMDb

The Theory of Everything (2014)

Synopsis:

This movie centers around the most well-known physicist, Stephen Hawking, as he discovers love, the universe, and the difficulties that come with having Lou Gehrig’s disease. The beauty in this movie is shown through Jane Hawking, who throughout it all stays strong for Stephen and is always there for him.

Why You Should Watch It:

I cried during the whole movie. Honestly, if you want a good cry, this one is for you. It will break your heart when watching the scene where he finds out about his neurodegenerative condition, but watching him overcome it through the love of Jane will leave you feeling truly touched and inspired.

Uplifting Moment:

“However bad life may seem, there is always something you can do, and succeed at. While there’s life, there is hope.”

Photo via IMDb

A Walk to Remember (2002)

Synopsis:

Landon, a popular high school student, is forced to do community service after he pulls a prank that goes horribly wrong. His community service work involves participating in after-school programs like the drama club, where he meets Jamie. The two are quick to point out the differences in each other, but during the Christmas play, Landon starts to see Jamie in a new light. However, there is something holding Jamie back.

Why You Should Watch It:

You should watch this because honestly, everyone has seen this so if you haven’t you just need to. It shows the purity of young love and the challenges that it brings. This one feels like a rollercoaster ride and I can’t keep up with my emotions while watching it.

Heartfelt Moment:

“Our love is like the wind… I can’t see it, but I sure can feel it.”

Photo via IMDb

Call Me By Your Name (2017)

Synopsis:

Set in Italy, 1983, Elio and Oliver meet and realize their instant attraction to each other. Call Me By Your Name fully depicts the complexities of a summer romance, from the beautiful beginning to the constant dread of knowing it will all be over soon.

This movie shows the heartbreaking decision Oliver decides to make in an unaccepting world.

Why You Should Watch It:

I saved the best for last, in my opinion. I love how this movie shows the subtleties to a summer love. You can feel the longing that they have for one another and the deep sadness they carry because they know that it will have to end.

Heartfelt Moment:

“If I could have him like this in my dreams every night of my life, I’d stake my entire life on dreams and be done with the rest.”  

Photo via IMDb

These movies will take you through the emotional rollercoaster that is love. I hope this article gave you some ideas on what to watch next! Whether you’re watching one of them for the first time or re-watching an old favourite, you will not be disappointed! What is your favourite romance movie?

A perpetually lost writer who is just trying to make sense of it all. Never ask me for directions. 
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.