Style > Beauty

The 5 Makeup Products I’m Bringing Into 2022

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

The makeup industry never sleeps. It seems like every week, Sephora is prompting a new launch, collection, or even brand. As a self-proclaimed makeup lover, I always have my eye out for new products. This year, I’ve come in contact with many products- some good, some not so good. When I repurchase an item, I know it must be good. Here are five products I will be continuing to use in 2022.

Rare Beauty Liquid Touch Brightening Concealer ($25.00)

I’m always hesitant about celebrity makeup brands. A lot of the time, they can be gimmicky and one big cash grab. There’s tons of money in makeup. If celebrities know anything, they know how to make money. Selena Gomez owns Rare Beauty and as a brand, it’s doing really well. I’m pleasantly surprised by the quality of the makeup.

I tried the Liquid Touch Brightening Concealer on a whim and I’ve loved it ever since. It provides medium to full coverage and lays on the skin flawlessly. Sometimes, fuller coverage products can look cakey and not skin-like. This product mimics skin when blended. It leaves a semi-matte finish that isn’t drying, but stays in place all day!

I like to use my finger to blend it or a damp beauty blender. The warmth from my finger causes the concealer to melt right into my skin.

Makeup products
Lenna Kapetaneas
Maybelline Great Lash Washable Mascara in Clear ($4.69)

My first encounter with this product happened many moons ago. I was 12 years old. I wanted nothing more than to wear makeup. My mom thought I was too young for real mascara so we compromised on this product. I vividly remember applying a layer on top of the layer of this on my eyelashes. It only made my eyelashes wet and goopy. As for mascara, it’s horrible. But as an eyebrow gel, it’s perfect!

The Maybelline Great Lash Mascara in Clear does the job of  keeping my eyebrows in place. My eyebrows are decently thick, so I don’t usually fill them in, but they can be wild and have a mind of their own. This product does a great job of keeping them controlled. 

I just brush the applicator through my eyebrows. A little bit of product does the job. I don’t over-apply the product because it can give my eyebrow a wet look.

I always found brow gel to be expensive for not a lot of product. This item is less than five dollars, so it is extremely affordable.

Makeup product
Lenna Kapetaneas
Marc Jacobs Eye-Conic Multi-Finish Eyeshadow Palette ($33.00)

This eye shadow palette has been used so many times this year. I notice myself reaching for it all the time. It’s extremely versatile and I can use it for an everyday natural look or a glamorous look. 

The Marc Jacobs Eye-Conic Palette has seven shades. Of these shadows, there is a variety of mattes and shimmers. They all perform superbly. Marc Jacobs generally has great eyeshadows, and this is no different. Each shade is pigmented, blendable, and long-wearing. It definitely passes my checklist!

The color story is beautiful. It reminds me of spring. The palette includes blush tones, cool tones and warm tones. This allows for so many different options to choose from. This product will definitely be sticking around this year.

Makeup product
Lenna Kapetaneas
E.L.F Bite Size Duo in Spiced Apple ($4.00)

Another product that won’t break the bank, but performs fabulously is blush and bronzer duo. Lately, I’ve been enjoying really warm tones on my face. Perhaps it’s because Canadian winters tend to drain the color from me, or because I long for sun-kissed skin. 

Both the highlighter and blush are very warm. The blush is too orange to be a bronzer, but definitely warms the face like one. I like to place the blush above my contour, into where I place my blush. The highlighter is very reflective, without being overly glittery. It leaves a nice sheen. Both shades are buttery and easily blendable. 

Considering this product is a whopping four dollars, it performs like a powder three times its price. 

Makeup product
Lenna Kapetaneas
Clinique Chubby Stick Sculpting Contour ($34.00)

Powder products can be easier to use and more widely known, but cream makeup will always have my heart. Crea makeup has a way of seamlessly melting into the skin and creating the most natural veil of colour. 

Clique’s Chubby Contour Stick is an amazing cream bronzer. It’s easy to blend, user-friendly, and beautiful on the skin. Although it’s marketed as a contouring product, I find it to be too warm for that. I use it as a bronzer to warm up my skin.

I can use this for more dramatic looks or a really natural look. It can be used on bare skin, on top of foundation, and set with powder. 

Makeup product
Lenna Kapetaneas

Makeup products come and go. There will always be a new thing in the line-up. As fun as it is to try new things, it’s so important to have a roster of products that you know just work.

Lenna Kapetaneas is an English and Professional Writing major at York University with dreams of becoming a journalist. She began writing as a child and it is something that has stuck with her. She has a passion for fashion, beauty, lifestyle, mental health and faith that she loves to write about. In her writing, her goal is to relate and connect with the women reading.