This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Having to stay home just as the school year ends can definitely feel like a drag, but self-isolation and social distancing are the perfect opportunity to curl up with a book! With the hustle and bustle of commuting, work and assignments, reading is a hobby that tends to get left by the wayside. But in the midst of the current global health situation, a little literary escapism might be just what the doctor ordered. 

Personally, I’ve been traveling back to the genre of Young Adult (YA) dystopian novels — the kind we were all obsessed with in middle school. The Hunger Games, anyone? The COVID-19 pandemic can seem like something from one of those post-apocalyptic books, but I actually find them comforting to read. No matter how crazy things are currently in the news, it can’t seem to get crazier than the alternate futures presented in these novels, and I’m grateful for that! From fairy-tale retellings to an angel invasion, there’s something in here for everyone. I hope you join me in traveling to the future with these reads!

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I know, I know, I’m sure everyone’s heard of this iconic novel before, but if you haven’t, what are you doing? This is your gateway to the wonderful world of futuristic fiction. If you have read it, I think it’s definitely time for a reread. Suzanne Collins’ gripping writing style is a treat, and re-reading this as an adult was really food for thought. Set in a very distant (I hope!) future, this book follows Katniss, a 17-year-old who makes a dangerous choice to protect her little sister. She finds herself ensnared in a competition, pitted against other teenagers from across the country. There’s a catch — only one of them will come out alive. This book has romance, action and shocking twists. Plus, if you’re anything like me, it’ll inspire you to try out your own braided hairdo, just like Katniss.

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder has such a unique premise, and in my opinion, it’s severely underrated. This book is a retelling of Cinderella set in the future. The book is set in the city of New Beijing, in a time period where the Moon has been colonized and a deadly disease rages across Earth. We follow Cinder, a young mechanic who also happens to be a cyborg. Her life is changed forever when she’s tasked with repairing a robot for a mysterious client — who turns out to be the Crown Prince himself! Cinder is full of adventure, world-building and diversity, and the little references to the original fairy tale make this so fun to read.

Angelfall by Susan Ee

Angelfall is a book I think not enough people are talking about. It’s set on Earth as we know it, but just days after angels descend and begin destroying the world, bringing on the apocalypse. The book follows Penryn, a girl who will do anything to survive and protect her mom and sister. She’s put to the test when they come across an angel named Rafael, who is injured and close to death. I know this book has a really fantastical premise, but weirdly enough, it feels like the most realistic of them all. It’s terrifying, gritty, and I promise it’ll keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time.

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Leviathan is such a strange, strange book, but it’s incredibly unique and fun to read. It’s set in an alternate world where science advanced very differently, and technology revolves around enormous machines and genetically-altered beasts. It follows Alek, a prince in hiding who ends up as a stowaway on Leviathan, a massive flying beast-ship, and Deryn, a worker on the same ship who has a secret of her own: she’s a girl in disguise on a male-only crew. This book will fill you up with detailed historical information, and it also has gorgeous illustrations. I recommend it to anyone who’s sick of the classic, formulaic dystopian novel.

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

Illuminae is one of the coolest books I have ever read. Told through a “case file” format filled with government documents, text messages, emails, maps, and blueprints, reading this book feels like watching a movie, but better! It follows Kady and Ezra, two teens who just went through a breakup. Tragic, I know. But what’s worse for them is ending up trapped on a ship in an intergalactic space battle, controlled by an AI device that seems to have a mind of its own. It’s hard to explain the scope of this book without spoiling anything, but the words “secret future space war” should be enough to convince you to pick it up!

These books are perfect to pick up this month, when you might have a lot of time on your hands. The first chapters will have you hooked, and you won’t want to put them down. And even better, each one is the beginning of its own series, so if you like them, there’s plenty more where they came from! Happy reading!

Sakeina Syed

York U '23

Sakeina Syed is a first-year student at York University in Toronto, Canada. She is passionate about social justice and human rights, a passion which is reflected in her writing. In her spare time, she loves to read, and you'll always find her talking about the books she enjoys.
Kaitlin is a bilingual (French and English) writer originating from friendly Thunder Bay. They are in their seventh year at York University, where they study professional writing with an emphasis on journalism. They live with their partner of nine years and their cat, Tessa. They started writing with a passion and a poem that eventually won third in a contest 12 years ago, and started editing not too long after. When not at the keyboard, Kaitlin can be found reading, cooking, playing video games, or holding Tessa. Their favorite movies are scary and their favorite television genre is reality. Kaitlin's passions include copyediting, anything scary or spooky and adding to her collection of dolls, magnets and cups. Their favorite part of writing/editing is giving others a chance to share their story or achieve their dreams and offering insight on "the little things." Some of Kaitlin's favorite topics reflect on their personal life, including health/disabilities, fringe topics and social issues.