5 Films That Secretly Awakened Your Inner Feminist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Since the beginning of movie-making, films have been a way to showcase ideas and beliefs, which can elicit some strong responses. For example, the movie Jaws increased fear of sharks worldwide, inspired shark-hunting tournaments, and is even speculated to be a factor in the decline of shark population worldwide. Jaws, among other movies, is able to strongly grip their audiences, creating the need to act (or react). But what about the films that impact you more subtly? The films that, when you look back at, you realize helped shape some part of you? Movies that awakened your inner feminist often fall into this quietly inspirational category. These are the movies that weren’t brash, but silently bold. The ones that crept into your subconscious and influenced you. In a way, they’re similar to horror movies and how they make you check under your bed since you were eight. The difference here is that these movies helped shape your experience as a girl and/or a woman. So, without further ado, here’s a list of five movies that helped to (secretly) bring out your inner feminist.

Jurassic Park

Okay, okay, bear with me on this one. At first, Jurassic Park may not seem like the most obvious choice of a secretly empowering film—especially since there’re only two females in the cast (Laura Dern and Ariana Richards), and it doesn’t pass the Bechdel Test. Despite this, it definitely carries a feminist essence within, especially with Laura Dern’s character Doctor Ellie Sattler, a female paleontologist— something that was awe-inspiring in its own right in the 90s.Though Ellie’s a supporting character, she still manages to play a vital role in the characters’ survival by returning power to the park. Many female side characters, especially in action/adventure movies, are pushed to the side, delegated to being arm candy à la Megan Fox in the Transformer series, but not Ellie. She was useful, not only in her own situation, but to everyone on the island as well. And, to top it all off, arguably one of the smallest, yet most iconic feminist moments in cinema history is when she adds to her colleagues’ circle of life comments, responding with: “Dinosaurs eat man. Woman inherits the earth.”

Photo by Production Company Amblin Entertainment distributed by Universal Pictures

Mulan

I’m sure there’re a lot of Disney movies that have inspired many women over the years, but one that really stands out to me is Mulan. A huge aspect of the movie is that the titular character feels she’s a disappointment because she can’t conform to society’s standards. Despite her insecurities, she still risks her life, not only to save her aging father from certain death in the army, but for the whole of China as well. Throughout the film, Mulan shows that women really can do anything.

Photo by Production Company Walt Disney Pictures and Walt Disney Feature Animation distributed by Buena Vista Pictures

Mad Max: Fury Road

Although the movie’s protagonist is Mad Max, Charlize Theron’s Imperator Furiosa steals the show. It’s rare to have a heroine like Furiosa—she’s neither scantily clad nor the love interest, or even shoe-horned into the story to give Max a revenge story arc. No, Furiosa is her own person with her own goals and backstory. In Mad Max, we see a woman who doesn’t conform to modern beauty standards, yet is still successful and essential to the film. She’s tough, but can cry. She’s determined, but a dreamer. Unlike some of the other characters on this list, it appears that Furiosa’s influence has had a more immediate effect, maybe signifying a greater change for women everywhere. Actress Millie Bobby Brown was said to have been nervous about shaving her head for Stranger Things, only agreeing to do so after seeing how cool Charlize Theron looked in Fury Road. If a character like Furiosa has already sparked the latent inner power in some, who knows what the outcome will be in even a few years’ time.

Photo by Production Company Village Roadshow Pictures, Kennedy Miller Mitchell, Ratpac – Dune Entertainment and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures

Hidden Figures

Hidden Figures, based on the lives of three African-American women (Katherine Johnson, Dorothy Vaughan, and Mary Jackson) who helped send NASA to space, is a story that should’ve been told a long time ago. Hidden Figures is not only an incredibly important movie for women—especially black women—it’s also a movie that delves deeper into an extremely overlooked aspect of history: women had a part in it. Just like Star Trek’s Nichelle Nichols did all those years ago, I’m sure these women will also be inspiring future STEM field-ers, like astronaut Mae Jemison or actresses like Whoopi Goldberg did before. Movies like this one fuel inspiration in young girls, an inspiration that carries them forward to achieve anything they set their minds to. If these women can break down barriers, why can’t the women and girls who watch their movie do the same?

Photo by Production Company Fox 2000 Pictures, Chernin Entertainment and Levantine Films distributed by 20th Century Fox

Legally Blonde

No list of feminist films is complete without 2001’s Legally Blonde starring Reese Witherspoon as the wannabe lawyer, Elle Woods. Though the film definitely has its cheesy moments, they don’t negate the message of girl power and staying true to yourself. During the course of the film, we see women supporting women (like Elle’s sorority sisters supporting her decision to go to law school), and that you don’t have to apologize for being yourself (Elle being into beauty and style even though she’s in a field that frowns upon individuality). We’re shown that any woman can accomplish her goal if she puts her mind to it. Though some have passed this movie off as “just another chick flick”, it appears that it has been much more influential than it’s given credit for. Last year was Legally Blonde’s 15th anniversary, and in recognition, many women (and some men!) went to social media to share that Elle Woods was their inspiration for going to law school, poking a big hole in the theory that only women who act tough and kick butt can be feminist heroes.

Photo by Production Company Type A Films and Marc Platt Productions distributed by Metro Goldwyn-Mayer

One thing to take from these films is that feminism comes in all shapes and sizes. Believing that you can accomplish anything, and that you’re just as good as any guy, starts with an ignition source. These movies are that source.

Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.