Style

5 Easy Ways to Transition Your Outfits from Summer to Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Now that school has begun for most of us, it definitely means fall has arrived! With the new season change, it’s time to start putting away our favorite summer outfits despite not wanting to. I know I’m not the only one who still wants to wear biker shorts, cute tees and even a trendy dress come fall but it just feels unrealistic when the temperature is going to drop. Also, many of us can’t afford a whole new wardrobe change just for fall, a season in Canada that lasts about a month and a half depending on location. So to save on shopping and to find some useful hacks for using your summer clothes in the fall too, keep reading this article!

Boots

Investing in a pair of fall boots is definitely worth while! Boots instead of sandals will take your summer outfit and give it the perfect fall touch. Most people opt for black but you can go brown, tan or nude if black isn’t for you. Even something colorful like red is great if you’re not into neutrals. The great thing about fall boots is that there are so many styles and options. Whether you want chunky army boots, boots that lace up or a pretty block heel boot, the styles are endless! If you’re obsessed with flannels, green army jackets or boyfriend jeans, definitely go for the chunky style for a more edgy style. If you’re all about preppy fashion, consider the lace up or zipper boots to go with all the skirts and button up tops! If you are into really feminine pieces, a block heel boot will pair well with your summer floral dresses and adds a classy touch of fall to the look.

Turtlenecks and Sweaters

It’s hard to give up our cute skirts and dresses until spring but this essential piece will make them wearable even through winter. Turtlenecks and chunky sweaters have become super popular as of late. It’s also become really trendy to layer denim or satin dresses underneath a basic long sleeve or a turtleneck. Pair a denim dress or skirt with a sleek black, white or grey turtle neck to stay on trend. To spice it up, you can pair your dress or skirt with a red, yellow or even pastel colored long sleeves to stay on a vibrant summer trend during fall! This goes the same for your shorts. On warmer fall days, instead of a tank top or tee, pair it with a sweater or long sleeve. The fuzzier and comfier the better!

Denim

The great thing about fall is that you can bust out all the denim you want. Throw a jean jacket on top of your favorite summer dress or pair it with a skirt for a functional fall outfit. Swapping out your denim shorts for a pair of perfect mom jeans will be a bit pricier to invest in, but having a solid pair of comfy jeans for the semester will make it less likely to want to wear sweats every day. If you’re someone who’s obsessed with denim jackets, invest in the ones with the fuzzy lining on the inside and on the collar to last you even through winter. If you’re not ready to give up on your denim skirt, that’s okay! Wear your denim skirt with tights or high socks! That way, it’s more functional. Pair it with a thick long sleeve or a longer coat and you won’t have to worry about being too cold.

Jackets

The cool thing about jackets is that you can be really playful with them. Whether you want a bomber jacket, a trench coat, a leather jacket, a furry coat or even a raincoat; there are so many options! If you’re a jacket lover, this is definitely the time to bring out all the ones you’ve been dying to wear during summer but couldn’t because of the hot weather. If you’re looking for something more than a jean jacket, try a bomber jacket for a sporty look. Depending on the style, some can be water resistant so it’s great for other seasons too! If you’re really into the chic, classy and modern look, definitely go for the trench coat or blazer style. These can vary in thickness and material, so some can be warm enough for winter as well! If you’re trend obsessed, purchase the fuzzy fleece jacket! Whether you’re going to the club, a party, a nice dinner or a formal event, this jacket will keep you warm for sure no matter where you go!

Scarves

This accessory is a must have for fall! Although a simple addition, scarves really add on to any outfit. If you don’t feel like wearing a jacket, wear a cute sweater and pair it with a scarf if it gets a little windy or chilly in the day. Throw one over a dress and you’ll have that extra warmth and a cute fall look at the same time! If you don’t want to invest in one, it’s not too hard to make one yourself if you’re into sewing! For a pop of color, opt for a colorful or bright pastel scarf. If you prefer neutrals, grey or black are pretty safe and will go with pretty much anything!

I hope this article helped you get some easy inspiration for your fall wardrobe! Fall is such a great season because you can wear a sweater without being too hot, or a dress without being too cold. It’s the perfect in-between and though the season doesn’t last long, there are so many ways to style for fall!

Feimoon is in her fourth and final year as an undergraduate student at York University, majoring in Communication Studies. She is passionate about traveling, fashion, beauty, writing and spreading positivity. She is now an Alumni of Delta Psi Delta, and past President. Now she focuses on being a Co-Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus York University chapter!
Kaitlin is a bilingual (French and English) writer originating from friendly Thunder Bay. They are in their seventh year at York University, where they study professional writing with an emphasis on journalism. They live with their partner of nine years and their cat, Tessa. They started writing with a passion and a poem that eventually won third in a contest 12 years ago, and started editing not too long after. When not at the keyboard, Kaitlin can be found reading, cooking, playing video games, or holding Tessa. Their favorite movies are scary and their favorite television genre is reality. Kaitlin's passions include copyediting, anything scary or spooky and adding to her collection of dolls, magnets and cups. Their favorite part of writing/editing is giving others a chance to share their story or achieve their dreams and offering insight on "the little things." Some of Kaitlin's favorite topics reflect on their personal life, including health/disabilities, fringe topics and social issues.