4 Easy and Healthy Breakfast Ideas for when you are Running Late in the Morning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Let me start by saying that being late in the morning sucks! When you’re late, you wake up feeling rushed and stressed; and these feelings are not a good way to start your day. One of the most important things to do in the morning is to have breakfast, but when you are running late, breakfast is put on the back burner. I’m sure you’ve heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and without a proper breakfast, you’re really doing a disfavor to yourself. If you’re anything like me, running late can be pretty common, especially when you have spent the previous night studying. To help you make those late morning just a little bit better, I have found four quick and easy breakfast ideas that will save your tummy’s life.

Microwave Scrambled Eggs

Yes, it’s as simple as it sounds. All you have to do is crack an egg in a cup, mix it with a fork, and put it in the microwave for one minute and Voilà! If you are feeling more creative and have a few extra minutes on your hands, add some colorful peppers, cheese, and my personal favorite, salt and pepper. Perfect to put in a to-go cup!  

Source: Krzysztof Puszczyński

Oatmeal with Fruit

I am absolutely obsessed with this one. I buy frozen berries from the grocery store and put some in a bowl. I microwave it for about one minute. While this is heating, I make oatmeal in a cup. My favorite is apple cinnamon because it tastes great with the berries. Once these two items are ready, pour the oatmeal in the fruit bowl and enjoy!

Source: Spencer Selover

Overnight Banana Smoothie

Sometimes preparing your food the night before is one of the best ideas. For this meal, you will need only three things: chocolate almond milk, banana and oats. The night before, slice a banana, put it in a bag and freeze overnight. In the morning, take your now-frozen banana out of the freezer. Put it in a blender; add a cup of oats and chocolate almond milk into the blender; mix it all up and you get a thick and delicious smoothie.

Source: Pawel Kadysz

Avocado Toast

Who doesn’t likes avocados? This next idea is super simple and really good for you. Grab a slice of your favorite bread, preferably gluten free, and place it in the toaster. Once toasted, grab an avocado and smear it on the toast. You can squeeze a lemon on top or even add some salt and pepper.

Source: Brenda Godinez

Try one of these really yummy and healthy ideas for when you’re running late. Remember to thank Her Campus at York U for making your late morning just a bit yummier!  

Sam is a Cinema & Media Studies student at York University. She is passionate about LGBTQ+ issues, mental health, and intersectional feminism. She loves dogs and grilled cheese and knows way too much about pop culture.