ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

3rd Time May Not Be the Charm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Sometimes you work so hard to make sure something you’re working on is perfect. You have invested so much time, dedication, and patience into maksing sure nothing is our of place and trying to consider every aspect that could be wrong and making sure it’s not. And even then it is still a mess. For instance, if you put all of your effort into studying for a math exam and recheck your answers multiple times and still do horribly, or if you spend days planning a party and no one plays the games or eats the food. You needed it to be perfect, so you look over it not only once, but triple-check and quadruple-check it. It doesn’t seem fair that after you have put forth so much, you have nothing you are proud of to show for it.

Sometimes you work so hard to do the right thing and consciously make decisions that keep people around you happy. And despite thinking four times before speaking, the world still finds a reason to be turned upside down. It not only seems that you are doing everything you can to get things right, but you really are doing everything you can do, and they still go wrong. You invest so much of yourself into this certain something and prepare as much as you feel like you possibly could for it, and it just sitll isn’t working out. You take into consideration all of the potential mess-ups that you can think of and do all you can to prevent them from happening.

Ultimately you feel sick to your stomach because despite everything that you put into your job, school, peers, children, training, etc. it feels like everything was for nothing–you set time and other opportunities aside and sacrificed for nothing. With how diligently you’re working, you should be ahead of schedule, yet somehow end up behind.

These feelings of failure may take over on occasion, but shouldn’t be a consistent part of our being. It’s wonderful to have high expectations of ourselves, but we’re human. If you feel like you’re giving all that you have and still feel like you’re failing, there are two options: a changed perspective of success or moving onto something more fulfilling.

Image Source(s): http://www.stlucianewsonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Hands-Drowning-Sea.jpg]

Hey! I'm Stephanie Wilcox, and I am a professional writing major here at York U! I spend most of my time playing piano or ukulele and crying over books and boybands. I'm currently studying Korean as an elective, and I hope to do plenty of travelling after I graduate. I believe in fighting for a better, safer, and more equal future, especially through words and writing. This is my third year at York University, and I am thrilled to begin writing with Her Campus this year as a CC and seeing the impact we will be making here!