This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

The 2000s were surely a decade of some of the best romantic comedies. It’s time to take a trip down memory lane, get comfy and grab some popcorn! These classics are perfect to watch with your family, friends, significant other or even alone. They’ll make you laugh, cry and everything in between. Without further ado, here are my 10 favorite must-see rom coms from the 2000s that are always worth rewatching!

Just like Heaven (2005)

David Abbott (Mark Ruffalo) moves into a new apartment, only to be haunted by the spirit of former tenant Elizabeth Masterson (Reese Witherspoon). Elizabeth isn’t convinced she’s dead, but David seems to be the only living soul who can communicate with her. While the two get off on the wrong foot, they begin a quest to discover why they are connected to each other. This beautiful ending will leave you in tears.

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003)

We all like a little competition, but little do Benjamin Barry (Matthew McConaughey) and Andie Anderson (Kate Hudson) know they’re part of the same game for totally different reasons! Benjamin is a confident ladies’ man and has a bet with his friends that he can win the heart of any woman in just 10 days, while Andie is a journalist using Benjamin as an experiment for her upcoming article on how to get a man to leave in just 10 days. So while Andie makes Benjamin’s life a living hell to rid of him, Benjamin does everything in his power not to retreat because he just can’t lose!

Catch and Release (2006)

Devastated, Gray Wheeler (Jennifer Garner) attends her fiancé’s funeral and must learn how to get back up on her feet. Soon enough, she discovers secrets her fiancé kept from her. Through the help of her close guy friends, Gray realizes her finacé isn’t the man she thought he was and Gray ends up falling for someone unexpected.

The Wedding Singer (1998)

Yes, this one is a little predated but it’s on the cusp of the 2000s and is so iconic that I couldn’t leave this one out! Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymoore have an undeniable chemistry on and off screen and have done other notable films such as 50 First Dates (2004) and Blended (2014). Wedding singers may not be as common in this day and age, but this film will never go out of style. Robbie Hart (Adam Sandler) is a wedding singer and  Julia Sullivan (Drew Barrymoore) is a waitress for weddings.  They are both engaged, but to the wrong people! Imagine hiring a wedding singer who thinks love stinks? We all know Robbie and Julia are made for each other, but can Robbie stop her from making a horrible mistake and becoming Mrs. Julia Gulia?

License to Wed (2007)

Sadie Jones (Mandy Moore) and Ben Murphy (John Krasinski) are deeply in love and cannot wait to start their life together. Sadie always dreamt of getting married at their family’s church. Seems like a happily ever after, right? We all know in romantic comedies this is too good to be true! Reverend Frank, played by the late Robin Williams, agrees to wed the couple only if they can pass his prenuptial course in just three weeks! Needless to say, Reverend Frank really puts the couple to the test.

13 Going on 30 (2004)

Jenna Rink (Chista Allen) is tired of not being a popular teen and desperately wants to be 30 thinking life would be so much better. On her 13th birthday, her wish comes true and she wakes up as 30 year old Jenna (Jennifer Garner), but her adult life is not what she expected it to be. Everyone else is much older too, including her middle school bestie Matt Flamhaff (Mark Ruffalo), who she lost touch with and got engaged to another woman. Jenna is not the person she expected to be at 30 but uses her 13 year old spirit and knowledge to turn her life around. It goes without saying, be careful what you wish for!

The Heartbreak Kid (2007)

Eddie Cantrow (Ben Stiller) is a single 40-year-old who still has yet to meet ‘the One’ until he meets the beautiful Lila (Malin Åkerman). It seems like love at first sight and the two are married instantly. However, Lila is not the woman Eddie thought he married. On their honeymoon, Eddie is driven insane by Lila’s bad habits that are just beginning to surface. What do you expect from someone you just met?

Good Luck Chuck (2007)

Charlie “Chuck” Logan (Dane Cook) isn’t all that lucky when it comes to romance. Since childhood, he had been cursed with the inability to find love. On top of that, all his ex-girlfriends end up finding their soulmates with the next man they meet! Hearing how Chuck is a lucky charm for women, everyone wants to give him a try! When Charlie meets Cam Wexler (Jessica Alba), he must find a way to break the curse before she too becomes the one that got away.

Fever Pitch (2005)

Fever Pitch is about school teacher Ben Wrightman (Jimmy Fallon) who begins to date executive Lindsey Meeks (Drew Barrymore). The two are practically opposites: Ben is  a relaxed type of guy while Lindsey is a workaholic; putting their differences aside, their relationship is unbreakable until Lindsey learns Ben has a huge obsession with the Boston Red Socks. And I mean HUGE. America’s pastime legitimately interferes with their relationship and Ben must find a way to score a ‘home run’ with Lindsey before he loses the girl of his dreams.

Music and Lyrics (2007)

Alex Fletcher (Hugh Grant) is a pop sensation. Or at least, he used to be. He hasn’t had a hit since “Pop! Goes my Heart” and now is playing country fairs and nostalgic shows. Hoping to get back into the business, modern pop diva Cora Corman (Haley Bennett) asks Alex to write a song for her. Haven’t having written anything in years, Alex is faced with writer’s block, until he realizes his plant lady Sophie Fisher, played by Drew Barrymore (that’s right; he has someone to come over and water his plants), has a way with words. The two begin to write music together and have an instant connection, however, disagreements about the track emerge and Alex must use the power of music to find his way back into Sophie’s heart

Other notable mentions: A Lot Like Love (2005), Serendipity (2001), Bridget Jones’s Diary (2001). So sit back, relax and unwind to some of these lasting films during your next study break!

Double Honours Major Linguistics and Psychology President of Active Minds at York University Writer for Her Campus at York University Head of Communications of The Rock/Metal Association at York University Football and Rock n' Roll fanatic
Feimoon is in her fourth and final year as an undergraduate student at York University, majoring in Communication Studies. She is passionate about traveling, fashion, beauty, writing and spreading positivity. She is now an Alumni of Delta Psi Delta, and past President. Now she focuses on being a Co-Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus York University chapter!