Culture > News

10 Must-See Toronto Events Celebrating Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Black History Month in Canada is and has always been such an important way to become educated and educate others on the people and events important to African-Canadian history.  As we are more than halfway through Black History Month, I have compiled a list of 10 incredibly unique and diverse events in Toronto that celebrate our African-Canadian community. From panels and open discussions to dance lessons and art exhibits, you’re sure to find something in this list that you can enjoy while celebrating the diversity of our big city.

The Anti-Token Comedy Show

When: February 22nd, 2019

Where: The Theatre Centre

Enjoy a night of comedy by some of Toronto’s best comedians of color for only $15! These comedians perform on a monthly basis so be sure to catch them every month as they continue this month’s celebrations all year long.

Art At The X – Black History Month Edition

When: February 22nd – 23rd, 2019

Where: Hotel X Toronto by Library Hotel Collection

Art at the X’s monthly art gala is holding a special Black History Month exhibit this month featuring works of black artists such as Moses Salihou. The event is completely free and open to the public so it is a great way to network and a great excuse to dress up.

Black History Month: Young Professionals Panel

When: February 23rd, 2019

Where: Richview Public Library

This free panel offered by the Toronto Public Library is just one of the many events they have put together to celebrate Black History Month. This free panel aims to inspire young professional and educate them on what it takes to be entrepreneurs. Be sure to register in advance as space is limited.

Photo via Unsplash

The Ethnic Rainbow: Anniversary

When: February 23rd, 2019

Where: Comedy Bar

Enjoy a good laugh at the second annual Ethnic Rainbow show, presenting a variety of comedians who are a part of the LGBTQ+ community in Toronto. Advance tickets are $12 and tickets at the door go up to $15.

Canada’s National Black History Month Expo

When: February 23rd, 2019

Where: Global Kingdom Ministries

Join the annual celebration at Canada’s National Black History Month Expo in Scarborough. With a Success Summit, Celebration Concert Event and a BHM History Museum, there is so much to do. Be sure to keep an eye out for special guest Prime Minister Justin Trudeau!

Femme Noir

When: February 24th, 2019

Where: Mod Club Theatre

Get ready to be entertained at this incredible performance in honor of Black History Month. With a variety of performance pieces in music, dance and visual art in honor of the most influential black female artists, its tickets are surprisingly only $30!

Photo by Josh Gordon

The Bboyizm African Street Dance workshop

When: February 24th, 2019

Where: Canada’s National Ballet School

Professional dancer Melly Mel, who can be seen dancing in major Hollywood films such as Sex in the City 2 and Chicago, is coming to Toronto to hold this exciting dance workshop in honor of Black History Month. She will be focusing a variety of styles including Pantsula from South Africa, Azonto from Ghana, Djazzé from Gabon and much more. The price of this workshop is $20 and runs for one day only.

Let’s Talk About Vogue Dancing

When: February 27th, 2019

Where: AGO 5th Floor Contemporary Tower

As a part of the AGO’s Free After Three youth program that allows youth 16–25 to participate in a variety of arts related workshops for free, the AGO presents an interview with famous vogue dancer Twysted Miyake-Mugler. She speaks about the way dance has impacted her life and how one can storytell through dance.

The Official Launch of the “HERO” World Tour

When: February 28th, 2019

Where: TIFF Bell Lightbox

New film HERO – Inspired By The Extraordinary Life & Times Of Mr. Ulric Cross is premiering and launching their world tour in Toronto just in time for Black History Month. The evening includes a talk back with the actors following the screening as well as an afterparty, all for $30 at the prestigious TIFF Bell Lightbox.

Photo by Richie Lugo

Us. Here. Now. & A Thousand Paths Home

When: February 5th – 28th, 2019

Where: Union Station

Make your commute a little more vibrant by stopping by the photography and digital art exhibit right inside of Union subway station. This exhibit features the works of Toronto’s black community and will be going on all month, absolutely free of charge to visit.

I hope you get the chance to check out some of these events in the next couple of weeks to conclude another incredible Black History Month. Though it is amazing to celebrate Black History Month each February, be sure to keep the conversation going all year round, showing appreciation for the culture of our African-Canadian community in Toronto and around the world.

Just a highly caffeinated 22 year old still trying to figure it out
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.