This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

As COVID-19 case numbers increase daily, so does the use of remote learning. Since many rely primarily on online websites, some have expressed concern over their networks not functioning as effectively as they need them to. Competing with online counterparts like Safari, Internet Explorer and Firefox, Google Chrome maintains its position as the most-used global desktop browser to date since its creation in 2008. 

One of the benefits that set Chrome apart from its online counterparts is its wide range of add-ons (extensions). The Google Chrome web store offers a variety of extensions that range from areas of productivity and safeness, to entertainment and fun. Confused about which extensions you need in your life? We’ve got you covered. Here is a list of the top 10 must-have free Google Chrome extensions that you never knew you needed in your life

Read Aloud

For many, one of the downfalls of online schoolwork is its dependency on lengthy online readings. If we’re being honest, no one wants to spend their day struggling over long articles when they could be doing more interesting things. With the click of a button, you could have your readings dictated to you with no effort needed. The Chrome extension Read Aloud: A Text to Speech Voice Reader turns your text into an audio recording. Rather than pasting your text into an online reader website, Read Aloud does the hard work for you. With a variety of online websites in different languages, transform your text into a free “podcast” that you can listen to while you do other work.

Grammarly

Are you worried about whether or not your paper or emails sound professional enough? Grammarly’s got your back. This extension gives you access to a quick and easy-to-use grammar tool that spell checks as you type! Grammarly highlights and underlines any grammatical or punctuation mistakes, and fixes any awkward and/or run-on sentences in your work. Whether you’re writing important emails, social media posts, papers, or even blogs, Grammarly always comes in handy. 

MyBib

With all the different possibilities for citation styles, properly formatting and referencing in your work can be tough. MyBib supports over 9,000 citation styles, including (but not limited to) APA, MLA, and Chicago. MyBib cites every website (and PDFs) you need in your preferred citation style. Additionally, MyBib also lets you know which sources are credible, ensuring your paper is professional and accurate.  Simply browse any website, click the MyBib extension, and watch as you receive your automatically generated citation. 

Focus Timer

Do you ever notice yourself getting easily distracted? Use the Pomodoro Timer and To-Do List to stay on track. Incorporating two of the most used methods for staying focused – writing to-do lists and setting study session timers – this extension is the best of both worlds. This addition to your browser keeps your to-do lists within reach, while also setting timers for more structured work or study sessions. 

Momentum

Tired of your same old Google Chrome background? With the most-used extension, Momentum, your Chrome homepage will take a turn for the better. Momentum allows you to have a personalized homepage within a matter of seconds. Customize your screen with your favourite background image, or even add a quick quote that motivates you to get through the day. Set yourself a daily task and get inspired to tackle whatever life throws at you. 

LastPass

Staying safe online isn’t easy, especially in a world where technology is rapidly advancing. LastPass allows you to secure all your passwords in one place. This extension lets you move away from using easy, unsafe passwords, while also solving the problem of forgetting your passwords. LastPass creates a free strong password for every site you visit, and will store it safely until you need to access a specific site. All you need to remember is one single password and LastPass takes care of the rest.

Full Page Screen Capture

Have you ever wanted to screenshot an entire website page, but had to do it multiple times? With the Full Page Screen Capture, you no longer have to worry. This extension will scroll through your entire screen and turn it into a single JPG image. Just be careful not to move your mouse while Full Page Screen Capture scans your document.

Evernote Web Clipper

If you find yourself in a situation where you have to read an entire article but are distracted by the multitude of ads and pictures on the screen, you need Evernote Web Clipper. When you find an article you’d like to read, click the mini elephant icon and Evernote will let you save the entire article (ad- and image-free), screenshot the entire page, or even bookmark it for later. Evernote keeps all of your saved and screenshotted documents locked. So, whenever you need to access them, log on to your Evernote account and read your simplified article – distraction-free!

Floating Video

Do you ever get annoyed with splitting your screen in half to do your work while also watching a video? With the Floating Video- Picture in Picture extension, you no longer need to. This add-on lets you open any video file and watch it in the corner of your screen while you complete your tasks. Once you click the icon, drag your video wherever you want on your screen and carry on. With its multiple playback controls, including its movable feature, you can watch your favourite movie, show, or even your lectures, while also doing your work. 

Teleparty

Apart from Chrome’s productive extensions, it also has many entertainment add-ons, like Teleparty. Formerly known as Netflix Party, Teleparty now lets you stream Netflix, Disney+, Hulu or HBO with your loved ones in real-time. While the pandemic makes it hard to see friends and family in person, Teleparty is a great option for a socially distant night in. Teleparty also has a messaging function that allows everyone to chat while watching your favourite movies and shows.

Google Chrome is an incredibly useful online browser that provides many tools to help us be more efficient while working from home. Chrome continues to expand its horizons in incorporating even more add-ons that help you get the most out of your time on the web. Though I’ve only listed 10 of the most useful extensions to date, there are so many more! So, what are you waiting for? Try some of these out!

Natasha Khan

York U '23

Natasha Khan is an avid reader and writer who loves expressing her viewpoints through captivating and informative articles. She is a second-year student majoring in the Honours Law and Society program at York University and enjoys advocating for social justice issues. When Natasha's not reading or writing you can find her in the kitchen experimenting with a combination of sweet and savoury treats.
Lisa is a former writer, executive member, and Chapter Leader of Her Campus at York U. She graduated from York University in 2021 with a BA in Anthropology. She is a Kappa Phi Xi alumni and is currently pursuing a Paralegal studies accelerated diploma at Seneca College.