Career

Whipped to Perfection: Indulgent Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

Offering a sweet twist on the classic cream cheese frosting, this frosting is crafted by gently blending salted caramel sauce into whipped cream cheese. This is a creamy dream— sweet and salty from the caramel with the tanginess of the cream cheese base.

This caramel cream cheese frosting pairs perfectly with my elevated carrot cake recipe. However, you can use this to top any kind of cake or any kind of fruit bread, especially banana nut bread.

TIPS:

For optimal results, I recommend preparing the salted caramel sauce ahead of time to allow it ample time to cool down and set. It’s crucial to ensure the caramel sauce is at room temperature before incorporating it into the frosting to prevent the cream cheese from melting. When the caramel is warm, there’s a risk that the frosting may thin out, start to separate, or even turn to liquid. However, if this does occur, don’t panic. Simply place your frosting in the fridge for 5-10 minutes to allow it to regain its structure. Your frosting will become smooth and creamy again! 

Make sure your cream cheese and butter are at room temperature. This facilitates faster and easier incorporation, resulting in a seamless mixture. For example, you can tell it is at room temperature when you push into the butter and it leaves a slight dent. The butter will hold its form but be malleable under slight pressure. To get your cream cheese and butter to room temperature, you have a few options. 

You can plan ahead by removing them from the fridge 30 minutes to an hour before you intend to use them. Alternatively, if you’re short on time, you submerge the sealed cream cheese in a bowl of hot water for 5-10 minutes until softened. For the butter, create a quick hot water bath by pouring hot water into a glass cup large enough to fit over the butter. After discarding the hot water, cover the butter with the glass cup. The cup’s residual heat will soften it in about 3 minutes. These methods ensure that both ingredients are at the optimal temperature for effortless mixing and a smooth, creamy frosting. 

Lastly, it’s important to note that this frosting is highly sensitive to heat and prone to melting, so it should be refrigerated immediately after preparation. Additionally, store the frosted cakes and cupcakes in the fridge. 

If the frosting begins to melt, refrigerate it and then re-whip it to restore its consistency. In very hot weather, the frosting may deflate under the heat, particularly when used for cupcakes. Avoid whipping the frosting too high, as it may start to sag from the weight. This frosting is light and lacks substantial structure, mainly relying on whipping for texture. Keep this in mind when selecting piping designs to ensure the best results.

How do I get the right consistency for my frosting? 

Frosting should be soft and fluffy, not runny or stiff. 

• If your frosting is too thin, add in more powdered sugar. After you’ve added in the initial 2 cups of powdered sugar, continue adding powdered sugar in ½ cup increments to prevent adding too much. 
  • If the frosting is too thick, you can add a little milk to thin it out. Add one tablespoon at a time. A little goes a long way. 
  • After removing the frosting from the fridge, if you find it a bit stiff, there are a couple of options to restore its whipped texture. One option is letting it sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes. This softens the frosting naturally. Or, if that does not work, you can whip it again using a mixer until it reaches the desired consistency.
  • If the frosting is too sweet, add a pinch of salt (about ¼ teaspoon) to balance the flavor. For a hint of tang, sparingly add a pinch of lemon zest, being careful not to overpower. Mix well after each addition.

IngredienTS:

• ¼ teaspoon of lemon zest 
  • 1 (8 ounce) package, block cream cheese, room temperature 
  • ½ cup of caramel sauce 
  •  4 Tablespoons of butter 
  • 2-3 cups of powdered sugar (add in as needed for the structure) 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon maple extract (optional) 

Instructions: 

1. Make sure the cakes are completely cool before frosting and assembling.
  2. Use a hand-held mixer or a stand mixer with a whisk or paddle attachment. Beat the cream cheese and butter together on medium speed for about 3 minutes until smooth and fluffy, with a lighter color.
  3. Before adding the caramel, ensure it is at room temperature. Slowly incorporate the caramel sauce while continuing to beat the butter and cream cheese mixture.
  4. If the frosting begins to lose its structure due to heat, refrigerate it for 5-10 minutes and then resume beating.
  5. Add the lemon zest to offset the sweetness and add tanginess.
  6. Incorporate the salt, vanilla extract, and maple extract while continuing to beat the mixture.
  7. Gradually add the powdered sugar one cup at a time, using low speed to prevent it from scattering. Beat on high for 3-5 minutes until the desired texture is achieved, typically using 2-4 cups of powdered sugar.
  8. Refrigerate the frosting immediately after preparation. 
  9. For best results, refrigerate the frosted cake for an hour before serving.

Written by: Madison Butchko

Maddie is the Yale's Campus Correspondent/ President. She is a physics and East Asian studies major. Passionate about all forms of creating, Maddie spends her time writing, drawing, and playing piano. With a multitude of hobbies, Maddie enjoys long distance running, reading, speed talking, jewelry making, and recipe writing. Fun fact: Maddie used to be a wedding calligrapher!