Wellness

The Best of Both Worlds: Apple Crisp Pie

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

When I was contemplating the perfect fall dessert, apples immediately came to mind. Being a fan of both apple pie and apple crisp, I couldn’t choose between the two for my Christian Union dinner. So, I decided to combine them into this apple crisp pie. Needless to say, the dessert was a massive hit. And,  I owe a special thanks to my friend, Tiana, for baking it with me at 3 am!

The apple crisp pie brings together the flaky crust and structure of apple pie with the satisfying crunch and texture of the streusel topping. Also known as a Dutch apple pie, it features the traditional apple pie crust along with an added layer of streusel topping, offering the best of both worlds in one delicious dessert.

If you want to take this dessert to the next level, consider adding your own salted caramel sauce. Drizzle the caramel sauce throughout the filling for added richness, and again on top of the finished pie as a garnish. The combination of sweet caramel and tart apples creates a perfect balance of flavors, especially when the caramel has a hint of saltiness. 

I’ve organized this apple crisp pie recipe into 4 parts: 

1. The pie crust 
  2. The apple pie filling
  3. The crisp topping 
  4. Assembling the Pie 

Breaking down the recipe into these sections allows for a clear understanding of each step. If you’d like a quick reference, the full list of ingredients is provided at the end for your convenience. Now, let’s get baking!

1 The Pie crust

I prefer to purchase the pie crust because it’s quicker and simpler than making it from scratch. Personally, I don’t notice a significant taste difference between store-bought and homemade crusts. I find it to be the fastest option. However, if you prefer to make your own crust, more power to you!

2 The Apple Pie Filling 

This tastes delicious on its own! Simply follow this recipe to slowly bake the apples until they’re soft, warm, and infused with flavor. Place the apples into a baking dish (9×9) and bake at 350F for about 25 minutes or until the apples are soft to your liking. As a bonus, serve them with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.

Ingredients:  

• 1/4 cup lemon juice 
  • 2.5-3 lbs apples —> about 12 apples peeled 
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar (133g)
  • 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg 
  • 1/4 teaspoon ginger (optional) 
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour 

Tip: Lemon juice is essential in this recipe for two main reasons. Firstly, its acidity enhances and brightens the flavor of the apples, giving the pie a fresh taste. Secondly, lemon juice contains citric acid, a natural antioxidant, which helps prevent the apples from discoloring by slowing down the oxidation process. This way the apples stay vibrant and fresh. Additionally, the tartness of the lemon juice provides a contrast to the sweetness of the pie, balancing its flavor. 

Instructions:

1. Peel, core, and slice your apples. Make sure you slice your apples as evenly as possible. 
  2. Toss with the lemon juice in a large mixing bowl. 
  3. Add the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg then toss to combine evenly. 

3 The Crisp Topping 

This topping is versatile and can be used for cobblers, muffins, or as an oat-streusel topping. For apple crisp, simply add the apple filling to a baking dish and top with this mixture, omitting the pie crust.

Ingredients:

• 3/4 cup flour*
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar (packed)  
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon 
  • ¼ teaspoon nutmeg (optional) 
  • 1/2 cup butter*
  • 1 cup old-fashioned oats 
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Be sure to use rolled oats instead of steel-cut oats or quick oats. Steel-cut oats are too small and won’t give the texture we need. Quick oats make the topping too “bread-like” and don’t toast well as rolled oats do. Rolled oats have the right structure, more surface area, and add the perfect texture to the crisp.

Instructions:

1. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Stir and mix until combined. 
  2. Add the diced, chilled butter into the sugar-flour blend using your fingertips. Aim for a texture reminiscent of damp sand: it should cohesively hold its form under pressure yet crumble easily when left unattended. 
  3. Adjust the consistency by adding additional butter or flour as required. Introduce flour gradually, spoon by spoon, if the mixture appears overly moist. Conversely, incorporate more butter if it seems too dry. Continue this process until achieving a desirable crumbly consistency. 
  4. Refrigerate the mixture until it’s needed.
  5. This will be placed on top of our apple filling.

4 Assembling the Pie

1. Preheat oven to 400F
  2. Place the chilled pie dough into a standard 9-inch pie dish, crimping the edges for a decorative border. Keep it frozen while preparing the filling and topping.
  3. Complete step 2, making the apple pie filling.
  4. Complete Step 3, making the crisp topping.
  5. Pour the apples onto the pie crust, spreading them evenly and compactly without overfilling. Eliminate any empty spaces or air pockets. Keep in mind that you will still be adding the topping. 
  6. Bake for 20 minutes at 400F. Baking the apples first prevents the topping from burning, as they require longer cooking time compared to the topping.
  7. Remove the pie from the oven and evenly distribute the crisp topping over the apples. Sprinkle the topping generously to cover the entire surface with no spaces. 
  8. Continue baking at 350°F for another 45 minutes to an hour, until the crust is golden, the filling is slightly bubbling, and the apples are soft when pierced with a knife.
  9. Let the pie to cool completely for approximately 2 hours before serving.

FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS: 

• 1 pie crust 
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice 
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar (133g)
  • 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg 
  • 1/4 teaspoon ginger (optional) 
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour 
  • 3/4 cup flour*
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar (packed)  
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon 
  • ¼ teaspoon nutmeg (optional) 
  • 1/2 cup butter*
  • 1 cup old-fashioned oats 
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Apple Pie
Julia Hedelman / Spoon

Written by: Madison Butchko

Maddie is the Yale's Campus Correspondent/ President. She is a physics and East Asian studies major. Passionate about all forms of creating, Maddie spends her time writing, drawing, and playing piano. With a multitude of hobbies, Maddie enjoys long distance running, reading, speed talking, jewelry making, and recipe writing. Fun fact: Maddie used to be a wedding calligrapher!