Sweet Potato With Pecans
Sweet Potato With Pecans
Shun Matsuhashi / Spoon
Wellness

SPICED PECAN RECIPE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

Toasted pecans are perfect for snacking or as garnishes, enhancing both flavor and aroma. Adding a dash of spice elevates their taste even further. Toasting intensifies their fragrance and flavor, making them a delightful addition to baked goods or enjoyed on their own.

This recipe for spiced and toasted pecans goes with my Carrot Cake recipe. You should roast around 2 cups of pecans in total. I will be using this in the Biscoff crust (1 cup) and for garnishing at the end (1 cup). Consequently, the recipe I wrote below is for 2 cups. 

Ingredients

• 2 cup pecan halves 
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon ground ginger 
  • 2 teaspoons sugar

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place pecans in a bowl. Melt butter over low heat and stir in spices, salt, pepper and sugar. Remove from heat; stir until sugar dissolves. Pour over pecans and mix well.
  2. Spread pecans evenly on a large rimmed cookie sheet and bake, stirring often, until dark brown and fragrant, 20 to 25 minutes. Season.
Maddie is the Yale's Campus Correspondent/ President. She is a physics and East Asian studies major. Passionate about all forms of creating, Maddie spends her time writing, drawing, and playing piano. With a multitude of hobbies, Maddie enjoys long distance running, reading, speed talking, jewelry making, and recipe writing. Fun fact: Maddie used to be a wedding calligrapher!