Pink Jacket Sidewalk
Pink Jacket Sidewalk
Arianna Tucker / Her Campus
Wellness > Health

So Many People Are Out Walking and I’m Here For It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

The nationwide social distancing guidelines due to the COVID-19 pandemic mean that people’s routines have changed A LOT. Staying home from work, activities, and our friends’ places have been keeping a lot of us cooped up inside in front of our various electronic screens for more hours than we want to admit. So, in order to get some much-needed vitamin D and breathe some fresh air, many people are taking up our fathers’ fathers’ pastime to remedy boredom: walking outside.

Sure, it’s simplistic, but very few of us have ever felt that we had enough free time to take a walk to relax, not to go anywhere productive. Since there’s literally nowhere to go but the grocery store, many people are filling their free time with small, or large, walks around their parks, neighborhoods, and city blocks. 

Even Ellen Degeneres got so bored that she took a walk– 6 feet apart– from Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

Thankfully, this pandemic has come at a time where us northern-hemisphere folk are experiencing the promising buds of springtime. Taking a walk outside is the perfect way to absorb the beautifully renewing energy of spring in a time when our lives are feeling pretty draining. 

All this to say that I’m really here for slowing down, enjoying nature, and taking a simple walk outside. Don’t let social distancing keep you from enjoying what’s outside your home. Let’s use this unusual time in our lives to take in the world around us, one walk at a time.

Margot Bond

Xavier '20

Margot is a senior Economics, Sustainability, and Society major with minors in Political Science and Gender and Diversity Studies from Louisville, Kentucky. In addition to writing articles for Her Campus, she is a Resident Assistant at Xavier and involved in student sustainability. She loves listening to John Mayer, watching Netflix, and doing crosswords with her boyfriend. Most importantly, she is 100% a cat person.
Tasha Young is a senior Marketing and Communications major from Dallas, Texas. She is the Marketing Manager and Co-Correspondent for Her Campus Xavier and the Vice President of Xavier's Women In Business. She's a giant comic book nerd who loves Mexican food, pokehunting with her dog, and playing video games with her boyfriend.