An Open Letter to My Freshman Year Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Dear Freshman Year Me,

You’re about to start an amazing adventure. I know it can be scary to leave home and start fresh somewhere new. But trust me, you’re gonna be just fine. Here are some things I wish someone told you:

It’s okay if you don’t know what you want to do with your life yet.

Because news flash: most people don’t. Figuring out what you want to do after graduation is part of college. Don’t stress, you’re not supposed to know what you want to do with your entire life when you’re 18! Relax, get involved, take classes in things you might be interested in, talk to advisors and professors, and trust the process. I promise, you will figure it out.

Stop comparing your experience to your friends from home.

Social media makes being happy in college so much harder, especially in your first year. But remember: no one’s life or experience is as good as they make it look on social media. All of your friends from back home are just as homesick as you are. Sure, their schools might have things that Xavier doesn’t, like Greek Life or a football team, but trust me, soon you won’t even notice. 

You will find your people.

It can be stressful and discouraging leaving your friends and family behind to start somewhere where you know no one. If you don’t meet your best friends during orientation, or even the first semester, do not worry, a lot of people don’t. Trust me, everything will fall into place and you will find amazing friends who will make you so happy.

Don’t wish it away

It’s so easy to say, “I can’t wait until I turn 21,” or “I can’t wait until I’m an upperclassman”. But if you can help it, don’t. Don’t wish away the start of your amazing Xavier journey. I would give anything to be in your shoes right now. I know living in a small dorm, worrying about RA’s, and wandering around the streets of Norwood on Saturday nights doesn’t seem glamorous now, but you will look back on the memories you are making right now so fondly.

Enjoy it!

You are starting some of the best years of your life. This place is your new home. Take it all in, and appreciate every single second. It goes by way faster than you think.

Welcome home. You’re exactly where you need to be. You’re gonna love it here.

Sincerely,

Senior Year You

Lauren is a senior Marketing major, with minors in Economics and Gender & Diversity Studies at Xavier University. She calls Nashville, Tennessee home, and is the Campus Correspondent and President of HCXU. When she is not writing, she is planning events on the Student Activities Council, building her resume with her brothers in Delta Sigma Pi, or making random Spotify playlists. She is a Diet Coke enthusiast, and wishes she could spend every day hiking or playing with her dog.