Style

My Experience With the World’s Most Loved and Hated Shoe: Crocs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Unless you live under a rock, you’ve most likely heard the recent news about Crocs. Even though this rumor was addressed and proven false, the news is still spreading and individuals are losing their minds trying to buy the plastic clogs before they lose the chance to forever. However, my story didn’t start this way.

This year, in my third year of college, I decided to become an RA at Xavier University in Cincinnati, OH. As an RA I have to spend one night a week at the front desk answering questions, greeting students and doing hourly walks around the building. Because RA’s encounter the most interesting situations during these walks, my supervisor told us that closed toe shoes were required. I’m far too unathletic to rock normal tennis shoes and way to lazy to put on my high tops, so I needed a comfortable closed toe option. This lead me to the purchase of my Crocs.

I’m originally from Southern California and let me tell you, no one would ever be caught dead rocking Crocs let alone the infamous Crocs-and-socks Midwestern combo. With my move to Ohio, I realized footwear here is far more for function and comfort rather than style. I delved into the Midwestern shoe life simply with Birkenstocks. I then took a chance on Chocos for the rainy spring/ summer in Cincinnati. Until recently, the Sperrys I purchased this summer was my latest Midwest inspired shoe. This was until Labor Day.

I was on duty the night of Labor Day and my fellow RA was telling me about how Crocs was having a huge sale. We had both expressed interest in a pair before so for $20 we decided to wing it. We found the most adorable, yet odd, pair on the site and fell in love instantly. In one week, we would buy the shoes that changed our life.

(The online photo of our crocs)

A week later, I got a phone call in my final class from my fellow RA saying our Crocs were here; the moment we’ve been waiting for! I got out of class, ran back to my resident hall, and found the most lovely shoe: The Croc! In anticipation for their arrival, I bought tons of charms made for the shoes and was ready to adorn them. I love Disney and made sure to cover one shoe with classic Disney characters and the other with Pixar and newer movies. I am in love with the end product.

(My crazy and lovely Crocs!)

Real talk though, everyone I showed my Crocs to before they arrived did not like them. It gave me doubts and I was nervous about them. They are a taboo shoe in some ways. However, when they arrived and I put my little charms in, I couldn’t be happier with my purchase. They make me smile every time I look down, everyone compliments and talks about them, they give me confidence, and they reflect myself. While they may be a mishmash of colors, patterns, and characters, this is who I truly am. While Crocs may not be the most popular shoe, they help me express myself and I recommend them to anyone and everyone!

(Myself and my fellow RA enjoying our Crocs)

Mallory (Mal) Williams is a Junior Digital Media and Advertising major, Writing minor from Chino Hills, California. When she’s not writing articles, she’s a hummus enthusiast, proud owner of a record collection, and the biggest fan of the planet Saturn you'll ever meet.