Campus Celeb: Terrence Ferguson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Warning: Terrence Ferguson’s long list of extra curricular activities will probably make you feel bad about yourself. As one of only eight Community Engaged fellows, Terrence does 10 hours of community service in the Cincinnati area a week– and he still manages to be extra-involved on campus. Xavier is his middle name— literally. Keep reading to learn more!

Hometown: Chattanooga, Tenneesee 

Year: Sophomore

Major: Business undecided (But I’m leaning toward marketing with an econ minor)

Activities: Community-Engaged Fellows, SAC Live Entertainment Committee, Manresa Orientation Leader, Alternative Breaks, Black Student Assosiation, A Xavier Christmas 

Why did you pick Xavier? I chose Xavier mainly because of the size. I didn’t want to be at a super tiny place where everybody knows everybody. And of course the basketball team, which is awesome. Also for the community engagement… I’m not Catholic but the morals and ethics that the Jesuits embody are really cool.

What influenced you in becoming involved in all of these organizations? Basically, service in my high school was after school. So I kind of wanted to continue that, but also do something new. As for SAC, I wanted to make a difference with on-campus stuff. I hated feeling like, “oh there’s nothing to do on the weekends,” or “everything’s boring”. I wanted to actually come up with a remedy for that. Because I don’t like people that complain, I’d rather have an alternative. 

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned in your involvement in these Xavier programs? I feel like the common theme is collaboration— being with others. It doesn’t matter if it’s service or Student’s Activities Council, or if it’s Manresa. It’s about learning and getting through college together. All of us come from different parts of the country and different socio-economic groups. But we’re working learning what it means to be an adult, and collaborating together. 

What was your favorite part of Manresa this year? My favorite part was —okay this is going to sound cheesy, but basically being the go-to person for the first years. Four of my Manresa kids wanted to transfer when they set foot on campus. It’s hard with all the anxiety and missing your friends and everything. But after Manresa, they said, “I definitely want to stay all four years”. I guess I like the satisfaction of helping to guide them through what their parents can’t help them with. But I would say the best part was just becoming friends with them and being with them— not over them or above them. 

What do you miss most about the South? I’m a very hugg-y person— that’s just how I am. I feel like that’s a little weird to people here. So I would say southern hospitality! But for the most part everybody is nice and friendly here. 

Favorite TV show: House of Cards. This is my prediction: Frank is going to kill his wife.

Favorite Restaurant: Montgomery Inn (when your parents are in town)

Favorite study spot on campus: Library cubicles keep me from being distracted. I am so easily distracted, I have to be staring at nothing when I study. I always have to be facing the entrance, too. Otherwise I always turn around to see who’s walking behind me.

Favorite Xavier memory: I was going to say Pig Roast, but that’s not acceptable. 

That’s totally acceptable! Okay, then Pig Roast 2014! 

Fun Fact: My middle name is Xavier! 

Danielle Curtis is a Junior at Xavier University and is HCXU's Campus Correspondent. She is majoring in English with minors in media studies and writing. She loves traveling, reading, and watching videos of failed marriage proposals.