12 Essential Oils to Add to Your Shampoo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Is your hair dry or damaged? You probably use harsh shampoos or blow dry your hair every day, in addition to styling and pulling it. As time passes, these practices reduce your hair’s natural oils. Essential oils could rescue your damaged tresses. Using them can boost the health of your hair and add a little fragrance. On a tight budget? Don’t fret as plenty of health food stores carry different kinds of inexpensive essential oils.

How to Use Essential Oils:

With essential oils, a little goes a long way. You only need a few drops and you can mix one or more types of oils in your favorite shampoo or conditioner. You can also mix your essential oils with a carrier oil, such jojoba or olive. Carrier oils are used to dilute essential oils before they are applied to the skin and they carry the essential oil onto the skin, hence how they got their name.

1. Almond Oil: Full of healthy fats and vitamins that work to nourish your hair, moisturizes and soothes the scalp, and adds silkiness and shine to hair.

2. Chamomile Oil: A soothing oil that has anti-inflammatory properties, conditions hair and protects it from environmental pollutants, and can relieve a scaly and itchy scalp suffering from dandruff, dermatitis, or psoriasis.

3. Clary Sage Oil: Suitable for both oily and dry scalps, has an herbal aroma, can help prevent or reverse premature balding, controls dandruff, and regulates oil production.

4. Coconut Oil: increases luster and shine, softens hair, has antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties that help fight infection, promotes hair growth, and adds volume.

5. Jojoba Oil: Adds nutrients, moisturizes hair and its follicles, stimulates the scalp, and has antifungal properties.

6. Lavender Oil: A soothing and mild oil that can be used on any hair types, prevents hair loss, promotes hair growth, improves blood circulation, balances sebum production, moisturizes the scalp, and has powerful antimicrobial and antiseptic action that helps fight dandruff, fungus, and yeast.

7. Moroccan Argan Oil: Naturally high in fatty acids and vitamin E which make it great for nourishing the hair, makes hair shinier, silkier, and softer, tames frizz, and treats split ends.

8. Peppermint Oil: Ideal for dry scalps, has a cooling effect, improves blood flow which then helps to promote hair growth and rejuvenate hair follicles, has a cleansing action that opens up clogged pores, and supports the normal flow of natural skin oils.

9. Rosemary Oil: Has a strong woody and minty aroma, best suited for oily hair, helps fight premature graying and thinning of hair, stimulates hair follicles, encourages blood circulation, and reduces the action of sebum glands.

10. Lemon Oil: A clarifying and drying oil that’s good for an oily scalp, combats dandruff, and has antimicrobial and antiseptic properties for scalp problems.

11. Tea Tree Oil: A top remedy for dandruff, moisturizes the scalp, relieves itching and drying, works deep into the hair follicles to unclog them and promote the normal flow of natural skin oils, and has antimicrobial action which helps to fight fungal infections.

12. Thyme Oil: Must be used in moderation due to it being a strong oil, has a strong, spicy smell, promotes hair growth, rejuvenates hair follicles, increases blood flow to the scalp, and has antimicrobial action to help resolve dandruff, fungus, and yeast.

Kayla is a sophomore public relations major with a minor in digital media. She is obsessed with dogs and all other animals. She is from Cincinnati, Ohio and was originally adopted from China.