Relax with these DIY Face Masks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

As the end of winter quarter is fast approaching, many students are feeling the stress building up. The cold winter days and the struggles of college life might be having effects on your skin.

“The college years are a prime time for breaking out, even for people who went through the bulk of their teen years without acne,” says Jody Levine, MD, assistant clinical professor of dermatology at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City. “Your skin reflects your overall health, and the disruptions in diet, exercise, and sleep, plus stress, can all lead to acne flare-ups.”

Not many collegiettes have time or money to make a trip to the spa, but that doesn’t mean your skin has to suffer! Make a little time for yourself with one of these simple DIY skin remedies to treat your skin with the TLC it deserves.

1)Skin Brightening Mask

Lack of sun up here in the PNW got your skin looking dull? Brighten it up with some lemon juice and tomato. HubPages blogger, “Healthmunsta,” advises to use…

Ingredients:

• 1/2 ripe tomato

• 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

Directions:

• Blend 1/2 a tomato into a smooth puree.

• Combine the tomato puree with 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice.

• Using a clean cotton ball, apply the mixture all over your face.

• Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes.

• When the time is up, rinse off with cold water. Pat dry.

2) Acne Clearing Mask

This quarter is flying by, and like many students the stress of school might be creating a few more pimples than normal. Stress no longer with this acne clearing face mask. Looking at “Healthmunsta’s” blog again, they advise to use…

Ingredients:

• 1 egg white

• 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice

• ½ teaspoon of honey

Directions:

• In a clean mixing bowl, whisk the egg white and I teaspoon of lemon juice, until the mixture becomes frothy.

• Add ½ teaspoon of honey and stir well.

• Wash your face with warm water and then apply the mixture onto your face.

• Keep the mask on for 10-15 minutes.

• When the mixture has completely dried on your face, gently scrub it off using warm water.

• Pat off and enjoy.

3) Coconut oil and brown sugar scrub

Using a scrub is a great way to exfoliate your skin to get rid of those dead skin cells. Coconut oil is the latest health obsession right now with it’s array of helpful qualities for our body. Chelsea Diane and Kaitlin Elaine’s “Feel + Flourish” blog advises to use…

Ingredients:

• equal parts coconut oil and brown sugar. [ex: 2 tablespoons : 2 tablespoons]

Directions:

Mix it together and scrub away!

4) Skin Softening Oatmeal and Honey Mask

Winter winds making your skin feel rough? Get ready for spring with this mask that will leave your skin feeling soft and renewed like a petal. Tiffany from her “S/Ch” blog advises to use…

Ingredients:

• 3 tbs of oats

• couple drops of honey

• A little bit of warm water

Directions:

Mix it all together into a paste. Spread it on your face and let it sit for 15 minutes. Then rinse off and enjoy your beautiful face.

5) Blackhead Remover Peel-Off Mask

Stubborn blackheads are not fun to wake up to in the morning. Use this face mask to get rid of them while also tightening the skin and opening up the pores. The “Living Traditionally” blog suggests…

Ingredients:

• 1 egg yolk

• 1 tablespoon gelatin

• 2 tablespoons organic milk

Directions:

• Clean and steam your face to open up the pores.

• Beat the egg white lightly.

• Mix gelatin and milk.

• Heat over a gentle flame, constantly stirring, until the gelatin dissolves completely. Transfer to a bowl.

• Let it cool. Add the egg and mix well.

• Spread the mixture over your face and let it set for 20-30 minutes.

• Peel off starting at the chin and moving upwards.

• Rinse with warm water and splash with cold water to close the pores.

PNW Native with half of my heart in the Evergreen State and the other half in warm, tropical Panama with the rest of my family. PR major with a passion for writing, humanities minor with an interest in learning about cultures different than my own.