Katie Lomas: Rising Star

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

Name: Katie Lomas

Major/Minor: Marketing / Theatre

Grad Year: 2016

Relationship Status: Engaged!

Why did you choose your major/minor?

My mom went back to college when I was in Junior High and she was a Marketing major and it seemed like something I wanted to do. However, when I started getting involved in Theatre I wished I could have double majored in Theatre and Marketing but it’s too late for that now so I’m just doing the minor. 

What is the best part about your fields of study?

My major is involved in everything people do nowadays and the industry keeps growing and changing. Marketing is everywhere. The best part of my minor is that I get to learn all about being an actor, people’s emotions and body language and participate in shows. 

What are the biggest misconceptions about your major/minor?

With marketing, probably that it only has to do with advertising. And with theatre it’s that you won’t get a job or make money doing it. 

Are you involved in any extra curricular activities?

I’m the VP of Relations for the Student Marketing Association (SMA) and it’s a great club for business students who want to know more about what happens outside college and who want to network with people in the industry and get some knowledge about marketing and other fields that class doesn’t get you.

I just started going to tap club this quarter. I took tap lessons over the summer and I want to continue to learn and get better at it. It’s a good way to learn with people even if they are way more experienced.

Depending on if I get into a production or not, I usually have theatre rehearsal in the evenings. I’m currently in a short play for ‘Plays4Us’ which is a student production where a few students have written short plays and are performed by other student actors. 

Who inspires you?

This is a hard question because I feel like a lot of people inspire me. Bernadette Peters is my Broadway inspiration, she’s perfect and has been in many Broadway productions. Shay Mitchell is my other inspiration because she’s become so successful over a short period of time. It’s exciting to think about how people have been successful and their journeys. 

If you could have a role in any film reboot, what would it be?

Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games, or a gender bend of Legolas from Lord of the Rings. Both are amazing movies and have a talented cast 

What is you dream job?

I’m really looking forward to becoming an actor, that’s definitely my dream job. 

Where do you see yourself in five years?

In five years I see myself married, living in Seattle or California and pursuing acting.

You can find Katie on her LinkedIn.

Danika is a student at Western Washington University where she is majoring in English Creative Writing and minoring in Writing Studies. She's an avid reader and aspiring young adult/children's literature publisher. Her interests include intramural sports, traveling, Harry Styles, and all things Disneyland. Follow her on twitter or check out her website.