This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.”

Invisible illnesses, or diagnoses that cannot be seen with the naked eye, are often misunderstood by those who are not directly affected. As a result, cruel labels and perpetuating stereotypes are facilitated by ignorance in our society. Words hurt. Stereotypes reinforce marginalization. They degrade strong-willed individuals for battling a condition that they did not adopt by choice.

I refused to accept this treatment as a survivor of an invisible illness, so I connected with a group of my peers who have endured their own personal struggles with some type of hidden diagnosis. Below is a synopsis of their reflections.

I am NOT stupid.” 

“Yes, dyslexia affects my life every day. Tasks such as reading, maintaining attention, working with others, etc. serve as a daily challenge.” However, those difficulties do not outweigh the internal motivation for success. Instead of labeling an individual as incapable or unintelligent, practice patience and empathy. A diagnosis should never stand in the way of an education, or more importantly, a human’s dignity.

Everyday Superhero”

Uncommon invisible illnesses isolate those affected at even more drastic rates. Sometimes, having the strength and confidence to conquer a single day is an incredible achievement. To speak out in class or socialize with peers is frightening, but it is incredibly fulfilling to realize the bravery from within. If that is not the most beautiful example of a superhero, I’m not sure what is.

“I have a purpose.”

“Tea provider. Homework helper. Emotional supporter. Activist. Protector. Interested. Secret Keeper.” The friend who cares. There are so many more positive labels than sick, lazy, attention seeking, etc. By radiating kindness, love, and support, those individuals are only working to reciprocate those qualities that they have dreamt of receiving themselves when they need it most.

“Stronger than Stigma”

Invisible illnesses are taxing to manage. The misunderstanding, stigma and ignorance of others is truly exhausting; but that does not overwhelm those struggling with hidden disabilities. The internal strengths harvest from battling adversity. The result: unconquerable strength.

“Dare to be different!”

Yes, invisible illnesses do set people apart from one another. That unique component allows those people to find an empowering sense of individuality and purpose. Rather than allowing adversity to suppress their extraordinary selves, they embrace them. Different, no matter the form, is beautiful.

“I think life is beautiful.”

As you can see, everyone that I spoke with has been through a powerful journey of healing. They endured the scarring of labels and damaging stereotypes in the name of wellness. So, as you live your everyday life, consider these statements and the living, breathing soul who shared them. Your words have the ability to impact someone’s live; whether that is to positively motivate or to negatively degrade is up to you.