Stepping Into Spring Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

The weather is getting warmer and the time has come to update our wardrobes for the changing season. But stepping into spring doesn’t have to break the bank. You can simply transition the wardrobe you already have to be ready for spring! With these simple tips, your wardrobe will take the hint from the season that change is good!

1. Colors 

The most obvious transition is with colors. Because the days are getting brighter, replace the staple dark colors with light colors. Have fun with bold patterns! Some patterns, like plaid for instance, can work all year round. Other patterns, like florals, always read distinctively spring!

This change in color doesn’t just extend to your clothes. Try colorful accessories, jewelry, handbags and shoes! Just remember to always let one color be the eye’s main point of focus, so your ensemble doesn’t get too overwhelming.

2. Layering

Because of the occasionally unpredictable weather, layering is imperative to a successful and versatile transition wardrobe. This way, you can stay warm or cool off without the need for compromising on style. This brings me to…

3. The Spring Jacket

This jacket is essential to the layering look, but also serves to compliment your outfit as a whole. The spring classic is the denim jacket. A close second is a lightweight leather jacket, especially colored leather.

If jackets are not your thing, the same look and concept can be achieved with a cardigan or lightweight sweater. When in doubt, go for a more neutral color so it can be layered with multiple outfits.

4. Choose Lighter Fabrics

Like cardigans, certain items, like scarves and some tops and blouses, do not need to be retired to the winter wardrobe bin. Articles of clothing that are made of lighter fabric are the perfect items for layering. So, try swapping your wool scarves for something that won’t overheat you and you can still have the look you desire!

5. Slowly Introduce Shorts

While you may be thrilled to be reunited, it’s important to reintroduce super summery items slowly. Shorts are a summer staple, but, depending on how unruly the weather may be, shorts can easily be regrettable. Instead of leaping right into them for a stroll, consider wearing them first by layering leggings underneath. And, don’t forget, there’s no shame with starting the season in capris or crop pants.

6. Summer Dresses

Along the same lines, there is no need to rush right into wearing distinctly summer dresses on their own. They are fine for layering with a nice spring jacket or cardigan, but don’t feel obligated to wear them while the weather is still warming up. You will have all summer to rock your spaghetti strap tops and dresses.

7. The Transition Shoes

So, what is the best solution for what shoes to wear during a season transition? The most versatile shoe is undoubtedly the ankle boot. They work with shorts, dresses or long pants and they keep your toes completely covered for possible weather hazards. On that note, sandals are fine for the particularly nice days, but save the plastic flip flops for the pool.

Enjoy the change in the weather while looking chic and stylish!

Stay classy, ladies! 

I am adopted from Russia and was raised in West Virginia. I am a double major in English (Writing Concentration) and Musical Theatre. I love art in many different forms be it writing, singing, acting, drawing/painting, or design. I adore fashion and it has helped me become the person that I want to be in life. I am a very open person and love talking to people, so feel free to ask me anything! I am honored to be a part of the Her Campus team and I hope that my writing will bring you a smile. If I'm not in the theater or typing up my version of the great American fashion column, you can always hear me coming from the click of my heels. My advice to all: Stay classy!
Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !