The Pros and Cons of Heels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

While they may be known as an icon for fashion and style, high heels are certainly not for everyone. There are pros and cons to the towering shoe. Together, we will look at the good, the bad, and the stylish:

Pro: High heels provide arch support and improve posture.

Our feet are naturally designed with arch. While flats work against this arch by forcing all of the foot to carry the weight, heels lift the arch and shift the weight to the ball of our foot. This provided elevation gives us a greater awareness of our posture to stand more upright and helps us correct our posture naturally.

Con: High heels can be painful.

This is the most common problem of heels. They can easily fatigue the wearer’s legs and ankles, especially for people who are not used to wearing them. People have reported mainly sore feet, but also stiff ankles, knee pain and lower back pain. For foot pain, try a soothing cream or a foot soak. You could even try a foot massage! Also, be sure to give your feet a rest after wearing heels. If knee or back pain occurs, you might want to try a lower heel or a wedge to relieve some of the pressure.

Pro: Heels make your legs look longer.

This is one of the reasons heels have become a fashion staple. Because heels accentuate the calf muscles, the legs look longer and more toned. Then, the appearance of long legs creates the illusion that the wearer is slenderer, because the added height contributes to the length of the silhouette.

Con: Heels can cause blisters and bunions.

While heels can and might rub blisters on certain areas of the foot, technically, that fact is true of all shoes. Since all feet are different, shoes are going to wear on the feet with different results. If you find a pair of kicks you love (whether they’re heels or not) you can always use Band-Aids or tape to cover up the problem areas or use rub-on blister gel to prevent sores from forming.

Pro: Heels are classic.

Heels are the fashion staple for women’s footwear. Whether you are going to class, a party or to the office, high heels can instantly add glamor and class to an outfit. When it comes to style, they are a no-brainer.

Con: High heels can throw you off balance.

This is another case of practice makes perfect. It is true that wearing heels alters your balance, because they change the way your weight is distributed when you stand. The skinner the heel, like a stiletto, the thinner the point that holds your weight. While only practice can help you improve your balance in heels, going for a chunkier heel or a wedge would give you much better odds.

In the end, you know your own limits and can you use your own comfort level to decide if heels are right for you. Whether you wear them every day or just for special occasions, you truly can have heels that are comfortable and perfectly stylish!

Stay classy, ladies!

I am adopted from Russia and was raised in West Virginia. I am a double major in English (Writing Concentration) and Musical Theatre. I love art in many different forms be it writing, singing, acting, drawing/painting, or design. I adore fashion and it has helped me become the person that I want to be in life. I am a very open person and love talking to people, so feel free to ask me anything! I am honored to be a part of the Her Campus team and I hope that my writing will bring you a smile. If I'm not in the theater or typing up my version of the great American fashion column, you can always hear me coming from the click of my heels. My advice to all: Stay classy!
Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !