Female Specific Nutritional Supplements: Do You Really Need Them?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Nutritional supplements are all the craze. Multivitamins, Vitamin C, and iron are just a few. But do you really need these extra supplements or is it just a waste of money? Most of the time, if you eat a regular and balanced diet, you will get the majority of the nutrients that you need on a daily basis. However, there are a few exceptions for women in particular.

Probably the most common deficiency in females is anemia, or iron deficiency. This occurs mainly in women because of the blood loss during the menstrual cycle. A lack of iron could cause fatigue, decreased immune response, and difficulty maintaining body temperature. So, iron is a very important part of your daily diet, especially while you’re on your period. Some ways to find iron without taking supplements are red meat, dark green, leafy vegetables, and whole grains, but iron supplements are always an easy way to make sure you’re meeting your daily needs.

Calcium is an important mineral needed in women, especially as you get older. Women have a predisposition to develop osteoporosis, which is when the bones, especially in the spine, become weak, brittle and porous, which can lead to some major complications and pain. Calcium is beneficial in keeping your bones strong (which we probably all have known ever since we were little kids.) According to Mary Ellen Camire, Ph.D., a nutrition professor at the University of Maine at Orono, “Women start losing bone density in their twenties. Calcium is your single best defense, and you should start taking it now.” The best places to find calcium are in dairy products, go figure!

Lastly, folate, or folic acid, is important during pregnancy (hopefully future) and it can prevent anemia as well. A deficiency in folate during pregnancy can lead to severely premature births and defects of the neural tube. Women’s Health Magazine states that women who take folate supplements before conception and during the first trimester can reduce the chances of their baby having a neural tube defect by 72 to 100 percent. A folate deficiency can also increase the chance of acquiring different forms of cancer later on in life. Folate can be found in leafy green vegetables, fruits, and beans, but is most commonly taken as a supplement.

There are many more vitamins and minerals that are essential to women’s health, but these are a few that you definitely should keep in mind and make sure you’re getting enough of. Supplements may not be needed, but if you find you have a deficiency, then they are definitely not a bad thing to have as a part of your daily routine!

West Virginia Wesleyan College, English Writing and Communications major.