Culture > News

WVU Feminist Majority Foundation’s Vote No on 1 Campaign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

HC: Introduce yourself!

SM: My name is Sydney Milhaven and I am a Political Science and Communications major here at WVU. I am one of three student organizers for the Feminist Majority Foundation’s Vote No on 1 Campaign

HC: What is the Vote No on 1 campaign? 

SM: The Vote No on 1 Campaign is a campaign to encourage people to vote on Tuesday, November 6 to save abortion access in West Virginia. Amendment 1 paves the way to criminalizing abortion in the state. If Roe v. Wade is overturned, this amendment could lead to a ban on abortion in all circumstances.Amendment 1 could be used to immediately cut off abortion access in West Virginia and allow legislation that would lead to imprisoning doctors and nurses who provide abortion care and patients who seek such car while taking away abortion access for the poor as well.

HC: How has the mission of this group grown/changed overall? 

SM: The Feminist Majority Foundation (FMF) was created to develop bold, new strategies and programs to advance women’s equality, non-violence, economic development, and, most importantly, empowerment of women and girls in all sectors of society. All programs of the FMF endeavor to include a global perspective and activities to promote leadership development, especially among young women. Along with reproductive rights and access to reproductive technology, the FMF’s programs have focused on the empowerment of women in law, business, medicine, academia, sports, and the Internet.

HC: What message does your team have for fellow Mountaineers? 

SM: Students had a critical impact on elections last year and our votes can be decisive factor again in determining the fate of reproductive rights here in West Virginia this November. We are working to make sure students on this campus turn out to vote in record numbers.

HC: Why is it important for college students to vote? 

SM: It’s important for college students to vote because they are decisive in close races, seen in the races in Virginia and Alabama. Students have a right to register and vote where they go to school and most express this right to avoid voting suppression aimed at students.

HC: Anything else you’d like to add?

SM: No matter what side you vote for remember to get out and vote Tuesday, November 6th! Our tabeling event will take place in the mountain lair Friday, November 2nd Noon – 3. 

Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.