Winter Is Rough, Here’s What Freshman Year Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Winter in Morgantown is extraneously difficult in comparison to any other season. The sidewalks are slick, the hills are death traps and class is almost never canceled. I’m originally from West Virginia, so this cold and snowy season is something I’m used to, but even I struggled my freshman year to adapt to the weather during the beginning of my spring semester. The difference in weather a three-hour-drive makes in WV is surprisingly substantial. Although I thrive in winter because everyone else gets as pale as me, I did learn a few lessons during my freshman year that might help you survive when Motown freezes over.

Avoid hills at all costs. Every year it’s the same thing, video after video on Twitter and Snapchat of cars sliding down hills into each other, or worse, into busy streets. It’s extremely dangerous, especially since, depending on your location, oncoming traffic can’t see you until it’s pretty much too late. It’s also dangerous for pedestrians, I slipped and fell twice on icy hills my freshman year, and although my body was okay, my pride wasn’t.

Everyone falls down sometimes, but you can somewhat prevent embarrassing spills by investing in some snow boots with traction. Although they aren’t the most fashionable choice, there are some pretty subtle options that can be paired with a cute sweater and look all right. I got a tan and brown pair from Amazon and (knock on wood) I’ve never slipped while wearing them, even while walking down some of the steepest hills on the Downtown campus. DO NOT wear shoes that have fabric exteriors or shoes that you genuinely care about. They salt the roads like crazy and you will ruin your Uggs, like me, if you cross the street in them. Shoes like Uggs also don’t have good traction, anything with a foam or smooth bottom is not your friend this time of year.

Check your email before you leave for every class. It’s very rare that the University shuts down due to weather but professors will cancel classes if they deem it too dangerous to commute, don’t walk all the way across campus if you don’t have to. It’s also very important to make sure you allow yourself extra time to get to class. The PRT breaks down a lot more when the weather is cold, I don’t know why, it just does. There’s also a lot more accidents, so traffic can get kind of crazy and you don’t want to be late to lectures, exams or labs.

Keep a pair of gloves and a hat in your backpack, the wind is relentless and it’s always good to keep your hands and head covered. If you keep a pair in your backpack you’re always guaranteed to have them handy. It’s also a good idea to throw a few hot packs in there as well, you never know how long you’ll be waiting for the bus or PRT, and you don’t want to lose all feeling in your hands right before you have to swipe your student ID. Cold season is also sick season, so take your vitamins, wash your hands and if you feel really under the weather, go to Student Health or MedExpress and get checked out. College is stressful enough without mono or the flu, and strep is hell so it’s best to just avoid all diseases.

Winter can be a really tough season, but also a really fun one. Take all the necessary precautions to make sure you are safe and healthy until it warms back up again. And even though you’re not supposed to, Woodburn hill is the perfect place to sled.

A junior at West Virginia University studying broadcast journalism, marketing, and law & legal studies. Enjoys running, exploring new places and learning new things. Is a sweet tea and pepperoni roll enthusiast, cannot live without coffee or dogs.
Her Campus at West Virginia University