What Happens to Dancers in College Who Don’t Major in the Art?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

So you spent your childhood lacing up pointe shoes, scoping the ground for bobby pins and getting excited over a new leotard, what now? In college, what happens to a dancer if they’re not looking to major in the arts? Don’t fear, there is certainly a spot at the barre calling your name.

If you’re really not ready to give up dance, you can try to double major. For some freshman, the thought of double majoring is enough to bring tears. Beginning college can be overwhelming enough! However, I have met many students who are double majoring in multiple subjects and love their schedules. If this is something you are considering, it is a good idea to set a meeting time with someone within the dance department as well as with your advisor. Not only will you receive helpful insight about the different kinds of programs WVU has to offer, but you’ll also get a sneak peek of Elizabeth Moore Hall; the studio is so beautiful it makes me miss my bun.

If adding another major to your hectic schedule doesn’t seem ideal, another schedule-friendly option is to take a dance class. Even if the style of dance you previously studied cannot be squished into your schedule, it is fun to try something new. College is all about being exposed to different ideas, people and hobbies. Don’t be afraid to trade in those ballet slippers for a pair of tap shoes. WVU offers beginner-level classes so anyone— no matter their level of experience—is welcome to enjoy themselves. Not only can taking a class or two fill your post-dance-blues, but they could also provide a much-needed break during the day and can be a great way to release some energy.

WVU’s Dance Team and Hip Hop Dance Team are two organizations to look into if you are interested in being part of a club or team. Both require tryouts and provide great opportunities for performance. You can catch the Hip Hop Team performing all around Morgantown and the sparkling blue and gold uniforms of the Dance Team members are always on the court of basketball games. If joining the Dance Team is something you want to look into, be sure to keep an eye out for their spring auditions. If you’re wondering what being on the Hip Hop Team is like and missed the fall auditions, check out one of their classes at the WVU Student Recreation Center. For a small fee, anyone can join in the fun.

College is an exciting time but that does not mean the transition is easy. It involves moving on and leaving things behind. For people who have a hobby at home, such as dance, the change can be challenging. With classes, jobs, new friends and grades to worry about, sometimes the best thing you can do is listen to music, strap on some dancing shoes and move. Luckily for our students, WVU’s wide range of organizations and classes makes this an easy thing to do.

Mary Madeline is a junior at West Virginia University majoring in advertising and minoring in interactive design for media. She works for the university's Arts and Entertainment department as an Artist Services Intern. Mary Madeline enjoys reading, creating and is especially in love with Morgantown's chilly fall weather.
Her Campus at West Virginia University