This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Being a freshman college student is the beginning of a new chapter in your life. Between meeting people, joining clubs and organizations and keeping up with classes, there are many responsibilities to be learned and maintained. Even small ones such as taking out the trash and leaving on time for class can be challenging. As I was starting my first year, I quickly realized how all of the stress associated with these responsibilities can strain your mental health. 

In addition to changes happening, college students are more at risk of developing mental illnesses and issues such as suicidal thoughts, bipolar disorder, depression and others according to NBC News. Even though the transition to college is challenging, many students overcome these obstacles and learn to adapt quickly. Here are some tips I have learned to combat the stress many college students face. 

1. Stick to a sleep schedule 

Sometimes it feels like there are not enough hours in a day with a schedule of constant activity, but it is important to maintain a full 8-hour rest to keep your body and mind at best. Avoid napping and consuming caffeine before bed. Stick to going to bed and waking up at the same time every day. Take an hour before bed to relax your mind such as taking a bath or reading a book. You will notice a boost in energy and become less irritable and exhausted. Your body will thank you for it! 

2. Keeping a healthy diet

Eating healthy in college is often overlooked. Especially when most college students rely on getting their nutrition from dining halls and microwavable foods. Nutritious Life provides options and tips to stay healthy in college. Take advantage of your dining hall’s healthy options, also avoid late-night snacking and energy drinks that rack up the calories.

3. Manage your time 

It is so important to manage your time in college. Stress adds up quickly when you have several homework assignments for classes, meetings, study time and other responsibilities. Procrastination seems like a good idea when you want to relax or hang out with your friends, but it causes unnecessary high-stress levels. Get up early for class, turn in assignments on time, make sure you have enough time in the day to get your responsibilities done instead of waiting until the last minute. When you get your to-do list done in a timely manner, you will feel much more empowered and motivated which is essential for a college student! 

4. Take care of yourself

While keeping up with classes and assignments and friends you easily forget your self needs. Taking time to love and getting to know yourself is the foundation for success and motivation. No matter how busy you are, always make sure to give yourself an hour a day, or even a whole day, to do whatever it is that makes you happy or relaxed. Stay in bed and watch Netflix, take part in your favorite hobby, or try some meditation or yoga. Your body and mind need a rest at times so you can become your best self. 

5. Take advantage of campus resources 

Whether you’re struggling in a class or feeling like you need someone to talk to, research your university’s resources for students. Most tutoring, counseling and therapy is free to students! Don’t be afraid to ask for help. It’s important to understand that you are not alone and many students are going through the same struggles you are. These resources can help you fulfill your needs and health, it is important that you utilize these resources to take care of your overall health and wellness. 

To make sure you succeed in college, know where to find support and how to put your best foot forward. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Seek the help that you deserve and do whatever it takes to get your mind back on track!

Edited by Katie Carnefix

Payton is a Freshman at WVU majoring in Fashion, Dress, and Merchandising. She plans to pursue a career in Fashion Buying. She loves beauty, fashion, social media, and spending her free time with friends.
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.