Wellness > Health

Tips For Staying Active During The Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

It’s that time of year again. The weather is beginning to drop in degrees and a majority of college students are losing their motivation to go to the gym. For those who prefer to stay in on a cold winter’s day, going to work out is definitely not an option. Why go outside and go for a run when your Netflix and bed are calling your names? Well, on top of helping you stay fit, exercising in the winter can help you in a variety of ways. According to Harvard Health, working out in the winter can help those who suffer from seasonal affective disorder (seasonal depression), since you are being exposed to sunlight as well as releasing endorphins as you exercise. Endorphins are neurochemicals that activate the brain’s opiate receptors which causes a reduction of pain and a boost in pleasure, resulting in a feeling of well-being. Another reason to workout during the winter? Flu season. You may want to stay in bed, but you don’t want to be in bed with the flu. Working out in the winter can help improve your immune system, which can help prevent you from catching bacterial and viral infections.

With all of these positive aspects of working out in mind, let’s look at all the opportunities you have to work out during the winter: The first option is simply going to the gym. The gym provides a variety of resources for you to take advantage of. Within the warm confines of a gym, you can continue to keep your summer body even in the dead of winter. Run on the treadmill, lift weights, go for a swim — all of these can burn calories and keep you active. Another fantastic option in the winter is joining a group fitness class. Here at WVU, the campus recreation center has plenty of different options to choose from, and you can definitely find something that fits your type. There’s strength classes, yoga classes, Zumba and many more if you look at the class schedule here. What can be fun with these classes is that you can take a group of friends and make an outing of it. Everyone will be able to get a beneficial workout as well as have motivational buddies to keep them going. 

Another option for staying active, if you are willing to bundle up and take on the winter chill, is working out outside. During the winter, being active outside can have even greater benefits than being active inside. Once again referring to Harvard Health, studies say that working out in the cold weather can actually transform white fat, specifically belly and thigh fat, into calorie-burning brown fat. Of course, if you choose to workout outdoors, make sure you are dressed in appropriate layers as well as wearing a hat and gloves.

The final option, which can be perfect even while you watch Netflix, is simply a small space workout. This can be done within the confines of your dorm room or bedroom! Doing ab workout, squats and lunges can burn enough calories so that you can continue to stay fit in the winter. There are a variety of resources such as apps like 30 Day Fitness which can provide workout routines for at home as well as video instructions. However, when looking into workout apps, a majority will require subscriptions to more exclusive exercises. If you would rather not pay for workouts, another option is looking online for workout routines like the one below (This workout comes from a series of workouts that will provide you with calorie-burning exercises): 

You’ve seen a variety of opportunities to stay active in the winter, and now, it’s the perfect opportunity to get up and go test out which option is the best for you. It is also important to keep in mind that maintaining a healthy diet will make sure you are feeling the best you can during these next few cold months!  

Edited by Madison Greer

Lani Beaudette is a sophomore at West Virginia University majoring in Journalism in the honors college. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she writes for Mirage Magazine and is the Social Media Coordinator at the Media Innovation Center on campus. In her free time, Lani enjoys reading, working out and hanging with her sisters in AOII