This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Relationship goals. You see them on all social media platforms but in the worst light. They’ve become a form of bragging rather than loving. They’ve become arrogant and outrageous. They’ve become something that is the wrong depiction of what love is. Your goals should be simple to love and be loved. While we’re all going to have our own goals within our relationships here are some of the ones that I believe to be most important:

You should be their best friend and biggest cheerleader. Regardless of if they got in to med school or got a good grade on a test, be excited for them! Be proud of them. Your significant other is the one who’s supposed to be the happiest for you in your biggest accomplishments and successes.

You should be able to be your own people. Yes, you are a couple but you are more than just that. You’re amazing individuals who can be recognized for your own doings. Your other should not interfere with your life journeys and accomplishments in a negative light. You should be able to grow with them while being your own person. While being together is wonderful you deserve to be more than a duo.

Your person should want to make you/make you a better version of yourself. Regardless of who you were, who you were with, or what you’ve done in the past; your person should make you want to be better. They should push you to strive to act in your best interests and become your best self. They should fill you with love and unconditional praise but also be able to call you out and knock you down a few notches when you are out of line.

You should be able to communicate. I’m not saying it always has to be positive because that’s more than unrealistic, but you should be able to have a conversation regardless of the situation. Being able to talk about your thoughts, dreams, goals, and more is the foundation of a relationship. Regardless if theres screaming or crying or laughter, talking about anything and everything is so important. Don’t ever think that you should have to ignore a feeling because you’re allowed to have them and you’re more than allowed to speak and act on them.     

I guess what i’m really trying to say is, love is hard. You find it and then you lose it. You mess it up a few times and then we eventually get it right. We’ll all have our heartbreaks and then we’ll find the loves of our lives who made it possible to have that feeling again. Don’t give up because one day you’ll find it and you’ll never look back. But in the meantime, remember what you want and what makes love important to you. Remember that you’re entitled to be your own person while being in love. Remember that you’re allowed to speak up for yourself. Remember that relationship goals are more than presents and photos being posted of you. Remember. 

My name's Kayla, but I prefer Kay. I'm a senior public relations major with an emphasis in event planning and a minor in political science. I enjoy iced vanilla chais from Dunkin, sleepy voices, and people with great Instagram aesthetics / Spotify playlists. I'm a sister of AOII, the strategic communications intern for the WVU Student Life communications office, a coffee slingin barista at Tutto Gelato Cafe, and a writer for the local magazine club. Life's short, talk fast. 
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!