This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

HC: Introduce yourself! Name, major, hometown, interests, etc

JM: Hello! My name is Jaylin McManus and I am a sophomore from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. I am majoring in Marketing and minoring in Public Relations.

HC: How has your transition changing colleges been? Are you happy at WVU?

JM: Transferring here to WVU was a little rough and overwhelming in the beginning. The transfer process takes a lot of time because you have to make sure that all the steps for both universities are done. I was very overwhelmed the first week here at WVU, but I am so happy to be at the school. It took a little time to get use to everything, but once I got my routine down, I knew that I was doing the right thing.

HC: What are you involved in on campus? What are your favorite things about those organizations?

JM: Besides writing for Her Campus, I am going through informal recruitment for Pi Beta Phi sorority. My favorite thing about being apart of Her Campus is being able to write about whatever I want to. I used to hate writing, but once I started writing about things I enjoy, that changed. My favorite part about being in a sorority so far is all the different kinds of girls that I have been able to meet.

HC: What are your future career goals/aspirations?

JM: I have been interning for my aunt and her lifestyle business for a couple years now, and I would hope to be able to work for her one day. I’m not sure what exactly I want to do but I am fascinated with social media so I would like to do something social media related, but also stay connected to the business side of it.

HC: What do you find most important about being a woman in media?

JM: I think what is important for me is being able to voice my opinion. I feel like sometimes as a young female adult, it’s so easy for my opinions to be pushed to the side or even forgotten. With that being said, I also try to keep certain opinions to myself because with social media, it is easy for something that you said to get twisted into something that you didn’t mean, and could really hurt your reputation.

Her Campus at West Virginia University
Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.