alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Meet Hannah Belt: Pro at WVU campus involvement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

HC: Introduce yourself!

HB: Hi! I’m Hannah Belt. I’m from Frederick, Maryland, and this is my second year at WVU. I’m majoring in strategic communications with an emphasis in public relations.

HC: To get to know you, what is your favorite food, TV show, movie and color?

HB: Some of my favorites…

Food: Half Baked Ben & Jerry’s

TV: I’m always binging a new show, but few of my favorites are Parks and Rec, Handmaid’s Tale, The Five and Black Mirror.

Movie: Interstellar, the Martian or the Harry Potter Series

Color: Yellow

HC: Do you have any side hustles or hobbies?

HB: I really enjoy Netflix binging, hammocking, reading and buying too much at TJ Maxx. 

HC: What are you involved in on campus?

HB: I’m a part of several student organizations here at WVU, as well as some other activities. I work as a research assistant to Dr. Geah Pressgrove in the Reed College of Media where I help her with her MANY research projects. I’m also WVU’s PRSSA secretary, which is one of the best professional opportunities I’ve gotten involved in. It’s given me so many networking and development opportunities and definitely grown my resume. And lastly, I am the service chair for the sophomore honorary, Helvetia. This means I coordinate and organize our service and volunteering events every month. Outside of academics, I’ve gotten involved in the Adventure WV program! This past summer I went on the SOAR trip (Sophomore Outdoor Adventure Reorientation). This was a two-week backpacking/canoeing trip through the deserts of Utah. It was truly an indescribable experience! I also teach as a peer mentor in the WVU Honors College which has been really rewarding and has allowed me to help students transition to WVU and get involved which is something I’m really passionate about.

HC: What are your future career goals and aspirations?

HB: My dream job would be to do Corporate Social Responsibility and other PR work for an outdoors company. Think REI or Columbia! Environmental preservation is really important to me, so I’d love to channel that passion through my work and be able to give back! 

HC: What advice do you have for freshman, transferring or returning students to become active at WVU?

HB: My advice would be to get involved, even if that means stepping out of your comfort zone. With almost all of the activities and organizations I joined, I did not know anyone going in, which can be really nerve-racking. Sometimes I felt like I wasn’t experienced enough to be doing what I was doing, but you have to ignore those fears. You will meet people that will help guide you through the uncertainty that is college. Don’t compare yourself to others around you because your path will always be different, and it will always be changing. And also remember to have fun and take time to decompress. School comes first, always.

Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.