Meet Bella Tori, Winner of the Her Campus at WVU x Mirage Magazine Art Contest 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Every semester, Her Campus at WVU partners with Ed on Campus to host an art contest where the winner’s work is featured in both our site and Mirage Magazine. This year, Morgantown native Isabella Tori sent in a piece inspired by the French opera, “The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.” HC at WVU sat down with Tori to talk more about the piece and her interest in art. 

To read more from Mirage Magazine’s third issue, Oblivion, head to their website

HC: Introduce yourself! 

BT: My name is Isabella Tori. I’m an Exercise Physiology major from Morgantown, West Virginia.

HC: What are you studying at WVU, and how did you decide on that major/minor? 

BT: I’m studying Exercise Physiology with a minor in Psychology. I’ve always liked learning about health and I love to workout, so I figured it would be a perfect fit for me.

HC: What are you involved in on campus? 

BT: Exercise Physiology Club, Campus Trendsetters, working at the Farmhouse Café, community service opportunities around town and the occasional HC WVU event! 

HC: How did you become interested in art? 

BT: It’s just always been something that I’ve enjoyed doing, both at home and in school. I loved all of my art teachers throughout school, so I think that made it a lot more enjoyable for me. I can remember always painting or drawing as a kid and it has always stuck with me.

HC: What advice do you have for artists that aren’t pursuing that as a career? 

BT: Be proud of your art! It’s something anyone can do, even if you don’t think you’re good at it. It’s so relaxing to sit down, put on some music and just be creative. Your art is unique and it’s your own and there are no rules as to what you can do with it. Whether it’s painting, working out, or even going shopping, I think it’s important to do something once in a while that makes you happy and allows you to take your mind off of everything else going on in your life.

HC: What do you think is most valuable about on-campus involvement? 

BT: Meeting new people with similar interests! We’re in college for an experience, not just to take classes. There are so many things to get involved in, and it’s so easy to take advantage of the resources already there to help you.

Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.