Making The Most Out Of Your Fall Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

College is often said to be the best 4 years of your life. It’s expensive, crazy and goes by fast so here are some easy ways to make sure you take advantage of every opportunity!

1. Plan Your Days

During the semester, the days fly by. Quizzes, exams, homework and projects for 4-6 classes will catch up; so realistically it is normal to feel overwhelmed, unorganized and forgetful.  The best way to keep track of upcoming assignments and activities is by purchasing a planner or a daily organizer. Begin by recording your schedule provided in various course syllabi; include quizzes, homework, extra credit, presentations and exams. Then pencil club meetings, gym time, weekend events and some very much needed “me” time. 

1.  Get involved / Make Connections

Join a club! Look online at all the possible clubs you could join or try out a club fair. Even if you just sign up for emails or go to a meeting—it’s a start! You might even meet your best friend in one of them. They have major, interest and hobby-related clubs. Building connections is important in college, every person you meet can make an impact on the outcome of your future. Once you meet someone new you can meet all the people they know and so on. It is always good to introduce yourself to new people around campus.  

1. Celebrate Small Victories / Set Goals

Rewarding yourself after getting good grades, joining a club or even learning a new skill is extremely important. Make yourself proud, it will start to motivate you.  Make a list of goals you are shooting for and reward yourself with something small for each one you complete. When you acknowledge your accomplishments in present time, the more you will want to accomplish. Tell yourself if you get a good grade you can go get your favorite food, coffee, a shirt you’ve been wanting or even buy a movie you wanted to see.  “The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate,” — Oprah Winfrey

Workout

Working out is one of the easiest ways to motivate yourself into being a better you. It is also a stress reliever. Make it a habit, even if you think all the walking from class to class is enough. WVU offers the Rec Center free for students—take advantage of it! They have multiple workout rooms, weight machines, a track, a rock-climbing wall, a swimming pool as well as workout classes. Online, the Rec offers various work out classes posted with times, description of the class and instructor. On-campus dorm buildings and apartments also have gyms in them.  

1. Branch Out

Go out on the weekends, you deserve it. Meet new people, take advantage of going to a school with 30,000 plus people. There is so much to do, use your free time to explore. If you are of age and like to party on the weekends, go to sporting events or even just walk around the downtown campus, these options are great ways to meet new people. Enjoy your time while you’re here. 

1. Take Time for You

Nothing is more important than mental health. Make sure you are putting yourself first. Get enough sleep, it is the best thing to do for your body. Don’t overwork yourself. Most students tend to bottle up their emotions, making more stress on the mind and the body. WVU offers a Carruth Center, they provide a wide range of counseling services for students, couples and groups. Treat yourself, buy a facemask or take a long bath. Do little things to relax your emotions.  

Because no person is the same, it is up to you to decide what is going to make you the happiest. Use these general tips and tricks to help YOU live YOUR best life and enjoy your time here at WVU! 

Edited by Katie Carnefix

Molly is a Sophmore at West Virginia University, her major is Multidisciplinary Studies. She is from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and loves shopping, makeup, traveling and having photoshoots.
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.