felix luo ucRO rs4y9I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
felix luo ucRO rs4y9I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Decor

I Stressed About Room Decor So You Don’t Have To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

If you thought your classes were the only stressful aspect of college, you were wrong. Decorating in college is double stressful because you have to worry about dorm and apartment guidelines to avoid extra fees or losing your deposit altogether. But I came up with a list of dorm/apartment-friendly ideas so you don’t have to stress anymore. The best part is that you, your roommates or your university’s craft center will most likely already have most of the materials needed, so you will not need to spend a penny. And, if you are not particularly crafty and do not want to spend too much time on your decorations, I will be providing a crafty version and an easy version. 

DIY Christmas Tree

Crafty Version

Easy Version 

If you are here, it is because you love to decorate, so you must definitely know how expensive Christmas can get, especially full-sized versions. This fairy-lights version of a Christmas tree is genius; it is extremely affordable, and you can decide how much or how little space it takes in your dorm or apartment. If you decide to recreate these in your space, use double-sided tape hooks that you can remove when the holidays are over, instead of hooks that require drilling the ceilings or walls. 

DIY Snowflakes

Crafty Version

Easy Version

With our first snow of the year, there is nothing that resembles the holidays more than snowflakes. These require just one material — paper or popsicle sticks — that you can definitely have access to in your college’s arts and crafts center. 

DIY Door Ornament

Crafty Version

Easy Version

These are also great if you do not want to decorate your entire door, but do want to display your holiday spirit. The easy version just requires red cups (I am sure there are a few laying around), a stapler and a ribbon. The crafty version is a little more complex, but just requires pom poms that you can get from the craft and arts center, or your near-by arts and crafts stores.

Door Decor

Crafty Version

Easy Version

On that same note, doing more than just an ornament on your door is so much fun. As you can see, you can do as little or go as overboard as you want. For this idea, there are not specific materials required, but you’ll most likely be using paper, markers or paint, scissors and tape. 

DIY Fireplace

This is definitely an idea I am going to attempt to recreate this season in my apartment. I have not been to a dorm or apartment in Morgantown that has a fireplace, so this is definitely a very cute idea that does not require any major effort or time. For this craft, you will need boxes, tape and whatever ornaments you want to wrap and decorate your fireplace with. 

If you recreate any of these crafty holiday decors, please share it on Instagram and tag us (@hercampuswvu).

Happy Michael Bublé season!

Edited by Madison Greer

Vanessa is a Venezuelan student at West Virginia University. She is majoring in Political Science, concentrating in International Relations, and minoring in Criminology. Outside of Her Campus, Vanessa serves as secretary for the International Student Organization, is a general member of the Student Government Organization and works as the event assistant at Brownfield’s office on campus. After graduation, Vanessa hopes to attend law school and graduate in Human Rights and International Law, and dreams of one day opening her own law-firm that specializes equal access to legal advice for all.
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.