This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Do you sometimes feel judged for not being “good enough”? Many people around the world struggle with this same question; you’re not alone. It’s difficult for almost everyone to wake up and go out feeling loved by themselves. Some days it’s a battle to be yourself in your skin.

We don’t always have to let our negative thoughts steal our well-deserved happiness. Our smiles can be genuine and our bodies and style can be praised by us! People need to remember that love is the most important thing we can have and give in life. Yet if one cannot love themselves for who they are, how can love be shared?  Don’t let this discourage you; today can be different! Here are a few things to keep in mind that can boost your confidence levels at any time of the day.

Tip Number One: Set a reminder on your phone

When you wake up, set a reminder on your phone with a quote that emphasizes self-love. Instead of waking up and seeing videos or pictures of others, wake up to positive thoughts so that you can take on the day feeling that you are enough rather than feeling like you’re less than others. Here are some good tips to get you started:

“Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life, but define yourself.”

– Harvey Fierstein

“If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person.”

– Fred Rogers

“She understood her worth which made her powerful. The world gravely needed a hero so she became one. No superpowers really, just a strong woman who took no nonsense from anyone.” 

-Randall Core

Tip Number Two: Tell yourself one nice thing about you

Usually, when girls see other girls, they compliment each other. How can people feel good when complimenting others, but can’t compliment themselves? It’s time to change that! No matter how hard it may be, try to point out one thing you like about yourself. Take time and be genuine towards yourself. Whether it be in the bathroom mirror or looking at a post-it-note before you leave. As the days go on, you can start to see what is so amazing about yourself and feel the love you truly deserve.

Tip Number Three: Remember what YOU are made of 

No matter what you think, you have worth and value. Each person has a talent, a loving heart and passion to do good. This means that you, YES YOU, are amazing in your own way. Regardless of other people’s thoughts, you are still the person that puts others first, that donates to charity, pushes for change and activism or who finds homes for endangered animals. Don’t let someone dim the light that you have because you do in fact brighten other people’s lives, and without you, it wouldn’t be the same. Remember the amazing person you have evolved into and never let anyone snatch it from you.

— 

Edited by Kenzie Dye

Hannah Decanio is a freshman at West Virginia University majoring in Psychology. She is from Charleston, WV and has always been fond of the mountain state. Hannah enjoys hiking, art, fashion, and helping others. Her favorite color is yellow and her favorite thing to do is go on long car rides to watch sunsets.
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.