Food For Thought Before Going Vegetarian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Full disclosure, I am a vegan but I realize that many people find it easier to be vegetarian first and then potentially transition into veganism later on. That’s exactly what I did after being vegetarian for about two months. So, I’m here to help you put down those hamburgers once and for all. Cutting out meat is a hot topic nowadays and for good reason. There are countless studies showing that eating meat is not only bad for the environment but bad for your health. Personally, I have noticed a huge difference in my energy levels and sleeping habits after focusing on fruits, vegetables and whole grains rather than animal products.  

What’s it like being vegetarian, you ask? It’s hard. Not because there’s nothing to eat, but because you will pretty much have to defend your eating habits to almost everyone. All of a sudden, people care about your protein intake, your vitamin B-12 levels and how much calcium you’re getting because “you need strong bones.” I sigh every time. Try not to argue with these people, just show them the receipts. It doesn’t take long to search on Google for “vegetarian sources of protein.”

The first step to becoming a vegetarian is finding your reason and motivation. Why do you want to stop eating meat? If you don’t want to stop then maybe you don’t have all the facts and information. I recommend documentaries such as “Earthlings,” which explores humanity’s maltreatment of animals. “What the Health” and “Forks Over Knives” (both available on Netflix) are two other documentaries that investigate the idea of a meat-free, plant-based diet drastically improving people’s health. Visiting animal sanctuaries may also help in deciding whether this is the right move for you. After watching these documentaries, doing some research and staring at my dog, I knew I was done with meat.

If you want a quick and easy start to this lifestyle, look no further than Mylk Guys (an all-vegan grocery store that will ship anywhere within the contiguous United States) and Thrive Market (another online store that sells organic produce and healthy foods at low costs). These sites have a myriad of meat-free options such as alternatives to burgers, chicken nuggets, sausages and even steak. They also have dairy-free cheeses, milk and ice cream for people who want to dabble in the vegan lifestyle. These are great when you want to treat yourself, but try to cook with fresh ingredients as much as possible. Be aware of what is on your plate and in your body. Eat foods that are packed with nutrition. There is a huge misconception that all vegetarian food is healthy, and that could not be further from the truth. If you’re doing this for health reasons, make sure you’re not always snacking. A habit I try to live by is reading the ingredients list on any packaged foods I buy.

What can you eat? Ironically, cutting out meat has made me try more recipes than I ever have. My favorite cookbook is “But I Could Never Go Vegan.” Yes, they are vegan recipes, but as a vegetarian, you will eat many vegan things; it’s natural. Check out this list of what should be in your shopping cart as a vegetarian. You might be surprised to see that it’s a very long list…it’s 2019 and vegetarians don’t eat grass anymore! We’re in a new era and there are so many substitutes. Substitute meat for tofu, tempeh, seitan, lentils, jackfruit or mushrooms. My fridge and pantry have never been as stocked as they are now.

The internet is your best friend while you’re making this change. Check out these long, beautiful lists of meat-free foods:

My new favorite vegetarian options are homemade black bean burgers, quinoa salads, ratatouille, pasta (of course), oats (with lots of peanut butter and granola), pizza and curries. You would be surprised at the power of vegetables and seasoning. One huge lesson I’ve learned from my journey is that animals don’t taste good, seasoning and other ingredients are why so many people think they do.

You’ll never want to eat at a restaurant again once you master vegetarian recipes. Restaurant salads are usually a sad and pathetic assortment of lettuce, tomatoes and store-bought dressing. I used to hate salad, but now I realize I was just eating the wrong ones. Once you add crunchy seasoned kale, sweet potatoes and hot sauce covered cauliflower to your salads, you’ll wonder why you ever put up with soggy lettuce. 

This brings me to another little hiccup that you might face. Eating at restaurants might become slightly awkward. No one wants to be the person who annoys the waiter by asking for a chicken caesar salad without the chicken, but you have to do what you have to do. Never feel bad about not eating meat. You are doing what’s best for your health, for the environment and for animals. 

Edited by Kenzie Dye

Ife is a senior at West Virginia University, studying advertising and public relations with a minor in communications. She is also the communications chair of the National Association of Black Journalists. She's from Nigeria, loves traveling, sunsets, eating and even has an instagram account for all the food she loves to cook.
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.