This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

With only 28 days in total, February flew by and I’m sure there are things we all missed. Here is February’s roundup on all things politics, entertainment, beauty and fashion!

Politics

Nearing the end of February, well-known democrat Bernie Sanders announced that he would be running for President for the second time. In his announcement video, Sanders says that it is, “Time to complete a political revolution.” This is in reference to his 2016 campaign that focused on many issues that the majority of previous candidates would not have even thought of backing, regardless of their beliefs. It is suspected that some other familiar faces may soon be announcing their candidacy as well. Former Texas Congressman Beto O’Rourke and Former Vice President Joe Biden have both had rumors of a potential candidacy. Political analysts are expecting an announcement from O’Rourke soon, but as for Biden, things seem hesitant. Based on Biden’s last two campaigns, no one would be surprised if he chose to go out on top as a well-appreciated vice president.

Entertainment

This month, the 61st GRAMMY Awards were held and there were plenty of milestones marked, but one stood out among all of them. “This is America,” by Childish Gambino was ironically the first hip-hop song to ever win Record of the Year as well as Song of the Year. Gambino’s song focuses on American culture’s use of entertainment media to distract from the issues we are facing, racism and gun violence in the United States. In past years, rap artists have received little-to-no recognition at the GRAMMY Awards, but when calling out injustice and racism, there isn’t much else to give other than praise.

Beauty

After having last year’s foundation release dubbed as a flop due to its lack of shade variation, Tarte released an updated foundation version of their #1-rated Shape Tape concealer. The brand boasts the new formula to be sweat-proof, transfer-proof, waterproof and vegan. Tarte Face Tape is also a pump-style bottle, rather than the previous stick applicator. The biggest criticism of the Face Tape foundation that was released one year ago was its lack of diversity, and it was clear that Tarte’s main goal was to fix this issue. The new formula included 50 different shades with five different undertones. This foundation is considered to be affordable for a high-end beauty product, priced at $39. Tarte Face Tape is an in-store and online ULTA exclusive, but can also be bought online at Tarte Cosmetics.

Fashion

One of the most iconic stages for up to date fashion took place on February 9th: New York Fashion Week. Notable remarks included the fact that the focus was not entirely on making political and body positivity statements as much as the show had done so in the past. This year’s New York Fashion Week still showcased bodies of all shapes and sizes, but it was not shocking as this is slowly becoming the norm; there are still many, many brands that refuse to use any type of diversity. Designers and models performing on this stage have been highly credited with influencing fashion companies across the globe to normalize a brand that includes all body types.

Madisen is a sophomore honors student at West Virginia University. She is pursuing a degree in Medical Laboratory Science with a minor in Communication Studies. Upon completing her degree, Madisen hopes to be accepted to physician's assistant school to continue her education. Madisen strives to be diverse in everything she does by delving into writing, science, photography, and painting. Being so diverse has allowed her to find the beauty in many aspects of life!
Her Campus at West Virginia University