Style

#NYFW Recap and Trends You Can Rock on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

One of the greatest weeks in fashion happened earlier this month: New York Fashion Week. New York is just one of four fashion powerhouses that get to host this event (the other three being Milan, Paris and London). Designers and models from all over storm the Big Apple every February and September to grace us with the hottest looks for the upcoming seasons and this past show did not disappoint. For nine days, the best of the best put on a fantastic set of runway looks to inspire us all for the upcoming fall season.

So channel your inner Anna Wintour and check out these projected fashion trends for fall 2019.

1. Feathers

Feathers are the new fur this fall.  From ostrich to peacock to egret feathers, expect to see these whimsy elements everywhere, especially on earrings, jackets and shoes. Designers like Marc Jacobs, Michael Kors and Oscar de La Renta embraced this fur-free fashion statement and showcased it in their runway designs. De La Renta uses bright purple feathers to create a showstopping jacket and can easily be paired with a sleek dress or dressed down with some ripped jeans.

2. Orange

From neons to clementines to burnt orange, this unexpected hue is popping up around the fashion industry. Designer, Carolina Herrera, fully embraced this projected trend and included it in several of her designs during her show.

2. Fanny Packs

Whether you like it or not, fanny backs are coming back into play. This once 90s staple is making a strong comeback and is not only extremely practical but very chic. Try raiding your mom’s closet to see if there is one you can bring back to life.

3. Patchwork

These polished patches are the perfect way to spice up your wardrobe and bring a chic, bohemian vibe to your look. One of the reasons this trend has so many people excited is because it is totally DIY. Find an old jean jacket and cut up some shirts or bandanas and sew them all over. At fashion week, Coach unveiled the coat of all coats, beautifully covered in patches that proved to be very mod. 4. Fringe

This element is absolutely everywhere. Designers of every kind are embracing this trend. Expect to see fringe on booties, jackets, t-shirts, earrings and purses. This nod to the 70s is absolutely one to embrace. Coach took over NYFW with retro style and edgy twists– fringe being that extra “oomph!” to elevate the look. 

5. Miniskirts

Believe it or not, miniskirts aren’t just for warmer weather. This staple piece is continuing to be popular even during the colder months. Pair your favorite mini skirt with warm jewel-toned tights or tights with glitter, prints and other fun details. Kate Spade owned this trend to create a chic solution to chilly legs in the fall.

6. Black and White Zebra Stripes

Leopard print who? What could get better than black and white zebra stripes? Nothing. Rock this trend ladies. Stripes go with everything. Black goes with everything, white goes with everything. Head to toe zebra, please!

7. Colorful Leather

This beyond basic material is making a strong, chic comeback, but with a modern twist: colorful leather. This week we saw pieces including baby blue, burnt orange and even purple leather grace the runway. Don’t be afraid of head to toe leather either, designer Sally LaPointe and Sies Marjan wowed fashion critics with their colorful and loud ensembles. 

8. Plaid

It seems everyone wore plaid at this NYFW. A timeless trend that is constantly around every fall and winter. Rock it on your skirts, your jackets, your bags or even mix and match them. Honestly, plaid is definitely Cher Horowitz approved so you can’t go wrong. Get a jump start on these “soon-to-be-hot” looks for the fall and be the absolute best dressed around campus.

Audrey is a junior at West Virginia University majoring in Elementary Education and plays Division 1 volleyball for the Mountaineers. Enjoys weekend Netflix binge sessions, petting all the dogs, and working with children.
Her Campus at West Virginia University