Eat Like A College Kid: 30 Minute Meal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Each day for college students is a constant juggle between our social and academic life. And after long hours being on campus studying or in classes the last thing you have time for is to spend hours in the kitchen cooking a meal. Not to mention on a college budget who has money to keep up with buying groceries every week.

You may, like me, love to cook but it can be tiring and most of all time consuming. I find myself struggling with a fast food craving because of how convenient it is. But I have vowed to live a healthier lifestyle and its also a habit I want to get used to.

With these 2 go-to meals you are 30 minutes away from kicking your fast food crave too.

First up on the menu:

Meatball Sandwiches

This meal is my all time favorite lunch or dinner 30 minute recipe.

What you need:

– Meatballs

By all means you can make your own meatballs (the night before; but who has time for that!) but I prefer to buy pre-made jumbo meatballs.

– Pasta Sauce (one jar=24 oz)

There are soo many different types of pasta sauce that you can really customize your sandwich and add your own personal twist. I typically use the Ragu Garden Combination sauce because I always have some in my refrigerator.

– Mozzarella Cheese

I always have mozzarella and cheddar cheese stocked in my refrigerator and it is the perfect topper on my meatball sandwich.

– Bread

This is another way you can customize your sandwich to your taste buds. I prefer to use Italian style bread but feel free to use the same bread you regularly buy. It tastes great either way!

Get Cooking:

Add meatballs into a pot and set burner to medium-high. Turn meatballs for about 3-5 minutes to warm them up. Add in the pasta sauce, enough so that the meatballs are 3/4 covered. Add a lid and let sit for 20 minutes. For the last 2 minutes sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and let melt over meatballs. Place meatballs on your bread and your done!

Last on the menu:

Mini chicken pot pies

What you need:

– 1 can of biscuits

( Any will do. I use Pillsbury Honey Butter biscuits)

– Frozen mixed vegetable blend (2 cups)

– 1 can cream of chicken soup

– 1 cup of shredded  cheddar chees

2 cups of cooked chicken breasts diced

Get cooking:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grab a large bowl and combine chicken, soup, frozen veggies, and cheese. Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin tin and press one biscuit into each cup on the bottom and up the sides. Spoon in the filling mixture into the biscuits. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Let cool for about 3 minutes and enjoy!