stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Eat Better, Feel Better: Staying Healthy While on Meal Plan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Most universities require freshmen to have a meal plan. At West Virginia University, meal plans include a wide variety of options for its students: there are grab-and-go options at the Mountainlair Student Union and Evansdale Crossing, including Chick-Fil-A, Which Wich, Juice Bar and more (dining halls have different options). But how can you eat healthy with the limited choices in front of you? How can you avoid the freshman 15? Eating on a meal plan can make you feel restricted with your options, but it becomes natural once you get the hang of it.

When You’re in the Dining Hall

The dining hall can be one of the trickiest places to master. There are so many options, and most of them are not the healthiest. Typically you can find cereal, bread/bagels, fruit, a salad bar, hot prepared meals and made-to-order sandwiches. The most important advice is to only eat one serving of food. When you’re in a buffet with endless options, it can be tempting to come around for your second or third servings. Fill up your plate with veggies, a complex carb (such as rice, bread or potatoes) and protein. Take advantage of your salad bar to help you get in your greens. Eating fruit at the end of your meal is a healthy alternative to have for dessert.  

When You Choose Fast Food

One of the best things about fast food (besides the convenience) is that the calorie content is easily available online. If you track your food with an app like MyFitnessPal, simply type in your order to see how many calories, protein, fat and carbs your meal has. In a perfect world, eating fast food wouldn’t be necessary, but it definitely helps out college students with limited time between classes. On most days, opt for the healthiest options you can, but just know that you can fit any food in a healthy diet. By researching menus, you can inform yourself on the best choices from each fast food option. For example, the Chick-Fil-A grilled chicken sandwich has only 320 calories and 30 grams of protein- that’s not bad for a fast food meal.  

When You’re in Your Dorm Room

Store your snacks and some meals in your dorm room. Most meal plans have convenience stores where you can spend some of your meal plan money to buy snacks, such as JACS and the Lyon’s Den. Take advantage of your mini-fridge and keep frozen vegetables, yogurt, hummus fruit, crackers and popcorn stored as well. Stay away from packaged foods like pop-tarts, ramen noodles, cookies or anything with no nutritional value and lots of preservatives. When you’re in a pinch and need something quick to hold you over for your next meal, reach for one of your healthy snacks. Don’t tempt yourself by keeping junk food in the room– instead, save those foods for a treat when you are out with your friends.

When You’re Really Committed

Don’t drink your calories. Avoid high-sugar soda drinks, sugary coffees and energy drinks. Water is the best option, but unsweetened tea or black coffee is there when you need a pick-me-up. You don’t have to eat a huge meal for breakfast each day. For most students, it’s unrealistic to wake up an hour early before that 8 a.m. class just to snag a meal that you’re not even hungry for yet. Don’t avoid eating for too long, because this can lead to overeating later in the day. According to a study done for the National Institute of Health, people who skip breakfast are more likely to eat more evening snacks than those who do. Bring healthy snacks with you to class, such as a banana or protein bar if you need to eat breakfast on the go. Remember, all things are included in a healthy diet in moderation. You can eat the cookie without it being the end of the world. Don’t ignore your cravings, and listen to your body. Be smart about your food consumption, and you will be able to adjust to the confusing world of meal plans in no time.

Juliet is a senior at West Virginia University and is majoring in Public Relations with a minor in political science. She is interested in using her knowledge as a public relations student to work in government or politics.
Her Campus at West Virginia University