nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Dr. Sal Raichbach on balancing college and mental health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Where is the line between normal stress, and a serious health problem? Unprovoked panic attacks, insomnia and more could be a sign college is taking a toll on your mind.

Between homework, classwork, extracurriculars, jobs and social time, college students pay less and less attention to their well-being. This is imperative– not only during HC WVU’s awareness week, but everyday.

It is a well-known fact that mental illness is alive and well on college campuses. According to a June 2013 article published by the American Psychological Association, 41.6% of college students suffered from anxiety while 36.4% had depression.

Another study from the National Alliance on Mental Illness found 1 in 4 young adults, aged 18 to 24, have a diagnosable mental illness. Even more upsetting, “Almost 73 percent of students living with a mental health condition experienced a mental health crisis on campus.”

With the average time spent on homework for college students nearing 17 hours a week, it is not easy to set aside time for ourselves. Students should, though, pay attention their mental health and take advantages of their on-campus resources.

In an article written by Katy McWhirter, Dr. Sal Raichbach lists ways students can accommodate their college experience to better their struggles.

Raichbach said, “Mental health is a hot topic for colleges and universities, and more resources than ever are being dedicated and used by the student population. For example, student with a severe anxiety disorder might not have been able to even attend college in the past. Now, with on-campus resources and advances in treatment, they have that option.”

Raichbach encourages students to sit in a seat that makes them comfortable, whether this be near an exit for security or in the middle of the lecture hall. Students that suffer from fatigue due to their mental trials should take breaks frequently and whenever they may need. He also suggests that students communicate with professors and faculty to modify their assignments to lesson symptoms. This includes giving a written presentation instead of a verbal report, asking for deadline extensions, completing work at home or using a tape recorder in classes.

While symptoms can vary from person to person, students should pay attention to themselves and inquire via their campus or online resources if they believe they need help.

WVU offers many seminars, lectures and presentations through WELLWVU and the Carruth Center. The Carruth Center offers both individual and group counseling, Substance Abuse Programs, Psychiatric Assessments as well as drop-in hours.

Students are encouraged to reach out and speak up if they need help.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255) Military Veterans Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-TALK (Press 1) Trevor Project Hotline (LGBTQ): 1-866-4UTREVOR (1-866-488-7386)

Haylee Hickman loves everything about art. She enjoys music and poetry in every aspect. Haylee loves film and writing as well, producing an award-winning short film and a full-length novel. In the future, Haylee anticipates working in the music industry performing, writing, writing as a music journalist, or creating media content for other artists. She would also adore a career in film. Haylee believes in equality, self expression, and telling your story.
Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.