This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

We have all heard the saying that marijuana mellows you out and helps eliminate bothersome anxiety, but there are a lot more ways to deal with anxiety and stress than smoking a joint. A solution many people do not know much about called CBD is taking the market by storm. It is described as a “new, revolutionary aditote,” renowned from its help with anxiety and with pain and inflammation. In more detail, CBD helps with the spread of cancer, epileptic seizures and neurodegenerative diseases. Its wide array of purposes make it so applicable for almost everyone, especially young adults who tend to be the most stressed. A huge social barrier that it has to break would be the fact that its cousin compound, THC has psychoactive properties and is only recreationally legal in 10 states. On the other hand, CBD is not mind-altering and more importantly legal in 50 states, thanks to the Farm Bill.

If it comes from the cannabis plant, but can’t get you high- then what is it?

CBD is short for Cannabidiol, a compound extracted from hemp extract of the Cannabis plant. A key characteristic of CBD is that it does not get you “high,”  it does not contain THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) which causes the euphoria. The concentrations of the amount of CBD can vary, depending on what it is being used for. The higher the concentration, the stronger the relief.

What does it do?

This oil is used for many complications, people are beginning to look into this as an option to treat chronic pain not only because of its effectiveness but also it has no addictive properties like pharmaceutical drugs. CBD is also used to ease anxiety and sleep disorders, researchers believe that brain receptors respond serotonin differently due to the exposure of CBD, linking it to increased amounts of serotonin, which helps boost mood and overall happiness.

Young adults need a new way to cope with stress.

Today’s world is competitive and heavily centered on success, this is especially true in college. Students have academic expectations that they are constantly trying to stay on top of, not to mention social, financial and family stresses. With that being said, research shows that roughly 1 in 5 college students have anxiety or depression. These young adults tend to cope with their problems using nicotine, alcohol, Ritalin and Adderall. It’s safe to say that there needs to be a better option- and CBD could be that saving grace for dealing with nicotine addiction and anxiety.

Hemp products for sale in Morgantown:

It’s clear what you’re thinking… “Isn’t marijuana illegal in West Virginia?” the answer is yes. However, with a recent pass of the Farm Bill back in December 2018, hemp products can now be bought and sold legally if it contains less than 0.3 percent THC. With the Farm Bill in place, Appalachian Cannabis Company is now open on University Avenue, and they sell different products and amounts of CBD.

How can you use CBD?

Since CBD is extracted from the plant in an oil form, it can be transformed into many products. This oil can be vaporized and inhaled, ingested or topically applied usually with the intention of relieving aches and pains. The variety is very appealing for users because they can use what they are comfortable with. Overall, CBD is a revolutionary elixir that people need to keep an open mind about.

Molly Carrick from Rochester, New York is freshman at West Virginia University studying Communications. Some of her favorite things include: hiking, thrift shopping, drawing and just spending time with people she loves. Molly loves adventuring new places, and has an inclination to travel the world. She is very passionate about fashion and the environment, and plans to write about those topics for Her Campus.
Her Campus at West Virginia University