Campus Carry: The Different Mountaineer Mentalities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

On Thursday, Feb. 21, WVU students, faculty and staff rallied to share their opinions on House Bill 2519, also called the campus carry bill. There were those in support of the bill and those against it present for the demonstration. Those in attendance took turns passing around a megaphone to share their thoughts. 

Head to our YouTube page to see our video of the event.

According to Legiscan, “The purpose of this bill is to allow a person who holds a current and valid license to carry a concealed deadly weapon to carry such a weapon on the campus and in the buildings of a state institution of higher education. It provides exceptions and immunity to an institution for a licensee’s intentional or unintentional use of a firearm while carrying it under the act. The bill seeks to acknowledge that violence against disarmed law-abiding citizens is an increasing, but unnecessary, occurrence. The bill is an attempt by the Legislature to reaffirm a law-abiding citizen’s Second Amendment Right, the right to protect themselves by allowing legally licensed and permitted employees, staff and students of public universities the right to legally carry a concealed weapon within specified limitations.”

Many locations would continue to restrict guns such as stadiums, daycares and dorm rooms.

The WV legislative session ends on March 9.

Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.
Her Campus at West Virginia University