This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Black Friday shopping is not for the faint of heart and It is certainly not a leisurely experience. It is a jam-packed fight for parking, packages and a place in line only to wait for hours with the slim chance you’ll even get what you came for. Yes, waiting in line and fighting with other customers is the worst, but knowing you are getting a good deal makes it thrilling and worth it. That is, if you even are getting a good deal. I looked at the big online and in-store ads to see if the deals are all they’re hyped up to be. Here’s what I found…

The best deals in-store on Black Friday are on electronics and other household items. If you are looking to buy a TV or a set of pots and pans, Black Friday will be absolute gold for you. Clothing and accessories have some sales, but they are nothing special compared to other sales throughout the year. Most clothing stores will try to reel you in with a buy more and get this free kind of sale, Victoria’s Secret, we are looking at you. With this kind of gimmick, you really aren’t getting much of a deal.

Many online stores offer the same deals or even better ones without having to leave the comfort of your home and wait in a line for hours. Amazon has over a week long event of Black Friday sales that have already started for this year. This doesn’t even include Cyber Monday, which is the Monday after Black Friday dedicated to online deals. Most of the stores that participate in Black Friday also participate in Cyber Monday. This gives you even more time to check off everything on your list. 

After scanning the ads and weighing the risks of getting beat up over a scented candle, I’ve decided that going out for Black Friday is not worth the hassle. Staying home and shopping online is where it’s at for all your holiday shopping needs. If Black Friday shopping in stores is your cup of tea, then have at it, but I’ll be at home sipping mine in fuzzy socks and a heated blanket.

Jessica is a sophomore at West Virginia University. She is working towards a degree in Criminology with minors in Psychology and Legal studies. In her spare time she enjoys hiking, crime TV and spending time with loved ones. While she is keeping her mind open to other opportunities, she hopes to one day work in the legal system.
Her Campus at West Virginia University