nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

The Benefits Of Essential Oils

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Many of us have heard of essential oils and have seen them everywhere, but our education on the benefits and uses are far and few between.  Many of us have aromatherapy diffusers and maybe use an oil as a form of skincare, but do we really know if those oils are actually beneficial, or if we are using them in the right way? Here’s some info on a few of the most popular essential oils and their uses.

Lavender

You may be disappointed to find that while lavender is one of the most popular essential oils, scientific studies suggest that for most of the claimed uses, lavender oil is not effective. While the results of whether lavender oil is therapeutic are more or less inconclusive, many people report lavender oil as an aromatherapy to be beneficial and calming. Lavender oil has also been used on the scalp to treat a hair loss condition known as Alopecia Areata. When combined with other oils, the use of lavender oil to treat this condition show promising results. 

Peppermint oil

Studies show that peppermint oil taken orally in capsules can help with symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. It is also suggested that topical use of peppermint oil can help with tension headaches.

Tea tree oil

The main known benefit from the use of tea tree oil is its antimicrobial properties that are suggested to help with acne. It is also possible that it may be effective in treating athletes foot and toenail fungus.

Bergamot oil

Bergamot oil has been linked through studies to reduce stress and anxiety when used as an aromatherapy. There is also talk that Bergamot oil has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, but there has not been enough research for it to be conclusive.

Before you run to your local drug store to buy some essential oils, I encourage you to read up on the subject and determine how and if you can use the oil safely. The majority of essential oils must be diluted to be used safely, and many oils can only be used topically or as an aromatherapy. What works for one person may not work for all, so it’s important to keep that in mind. With that being said, I hope I’ve enlightened you on some of the uses of essential oils and peaked your curiosity to learn more!

Jessica is a sophomore at West Virginia University. She is working towards a degree in Criminology with minors in Psychology and Legal studies. In her spare time she enjoys hiking, crime TV and spending time with loved ones. While she is keeping her mind open to other opportunities, she hopes to one day work in the legal system.
Her Campus at West Virginia University