6 Ways to Elevate Your Already-Furnished Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

You FINALLY got your own place, and better yet, you didn’t have to go through U-haul expenses or spend hours moving in heavy pieces of furniture because you scored yourself an already-furnished apartment. With this convenience though, you missed out on the opportunity to add unique pieces to your new space. Luckily, there are plenty of simple and affordable ways to make your new room feel like home.

1. String lights

While this may not be everyone’s cup of tea, nothing makes a room feel more cozy than some string lights around your wall. The accessory creates the perfect lighting for movie-watching late at night. Here is a cheap and affordable set on amazon (these are the ones pictured above and they plug into a USB!!)

2. Pictures of friends/family

There is nothing better to fight the feeling of being homesick by having the people you care about most around. There are so many ways to incorporate pictures into your room for some extra decor (cute picture frames, cork boards, making a collage on your wall– the list goes on….)

3. A tapestry

Tapestries are so popular these days–and with good reason. They are an inexpensive way to cover up bare walls. There are so many different designs out there to best express your style and personality. They are large in size so chances are they will cover up most, if not all, of your wall. Amazon has endless and affordable choices for tapestries. Here is a link to the one pictured above.

4. Small accessories

This is a vast but important detail. This could include anything from candles, salt rock lamp, wall decor, flowers, etc., anything that makes you feel more at home and is important to you. I feel most relaxed after a long day of class when I come back to my room and turn on my Scentsy and my oil-diffuser. These are things that are going to vary from person to person, but make a big difference to the aesthetics of your space.

5. Blankets and pillows

Most likely if you are living in a furnished apartment, the bed they supply you with is not going to be nearly as comfortable as the one you have at home. One way to help with this is a LOT of blankets and pillows (or even better–a mattress topper!). Not only do these things make you feel more cozy, they make your room look cuter too, so really it’s a win-win.

6. Rug

Bringing a rug or carpet can make a big difference to the look and feel of your room (especially if you have hardwood floors). I always thought my room looked so bare until I added a big rug and it really brought the whole room together. There are so many options and this is another opportunity to express yourself and your sense of style. (My favorite place to look for rugs is tjmaxx.com–always super affordable!)

Making a space your own is one of the most exciting parts of moving into a new place. There are so many different things you can do and so many ways to express yourself and get creative. The most important thing is you feel comfortable and at home, so try to have fun with it!

Morgan is a junior at West Virginia University majoring in Strategic Communications with an emphasis in Public Relations. She is the social media director for Her Campus, and has a love for fashion, fitness, and food.
Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.